Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 5, Issue 55

Re: [AMC-List] AMC-List Digest, Vol 5, Issue 55

Jim,
  Your wagon does not have an actual porportioning valve. It just has a warning light switch built into it. You can tap the adjustable valve into the rear brake line anywhere it is convenient for you to get to it and make the adjustment, leaving the original block in place. If you have rear brake lock up after installing the discs, install the valve. No rear wheel lockup??? Don't bother with the valve. It will only reduce pressure and not increase it in any way. My American would need a valve with it's currect brake setup if I wasn't running the large 255/60/15 tires on the rear. Skinnys would lock up way to early. But with the large tires on mine it is fairly well balanced. A panic stop gives me rear lockup just slightly before fronts.
  On my American I run 82 Concord discs, stock 9" rear drums and use a 79 Mustang manual disc brake master [which I don't recomend, it takes to much work to adapt, I bought it when I did't know any better] I had to weld the hole closed int he brake pedal and redrill it to get the pedal height correct, plus redrill the firewall holes to allow the master to bolt up. It Works good now, but not worth all the effort when I could have just bought the correct master! live and learn!
  On the 82 discs, when you assemble they will give you two antirattle springs per side. Only use one. Place it on the trailing edge of the pad to hold the pad forward in the direction of rotation. Placing the springs on both ends only leads to noises from the pads rattling around back and forth. We found this out way back in 82 on the new cars as a lot of people complained of all the clunking and clicking from the pads flopping around. IIRC it was an recomendation from the local factory rep at the time. I was surprised to see four springs even included in the hardware kits when I did the American!
--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net