Re: [AMC-List] How I identified a bad radiator and choice for replacemen

Re: [AMC-List] How I identified a bad radiator and choice for replacement in my 70 AMX road racer

Hal,
  Have you tried Doug Noland for an aluminum radiator? He is listed on
page 23 of the latest NAMDRA newsletter. His website is at
http://www.customaluminumradiators.com.

But it does sound like you have another problem, not the radiator, like a
head gasket leak, etc.

On Tue, 27 Jun 2006 14:50:59 +0000 hal.lynch@xxxxxxx writes:
> Hi guys,
>
> I am going through an interesting issue with my 70 AMX road racer
> and thought I'd share the experience so far and request any input
> before I proceed.
>
> Back in 1999 I removed my Allison NASCAR engine to refresh and store
> in favor of a mild 401 that I had built by Ron Waters at WSC.  The
> engine is a copy of his very successful road race engines.  I tpped
> his extensive r oad race knowledge to build a second 'mule'motor for
> my car that I will use for street use, driver training and chassis
> setup for the AMX.  It basically has been blueprinted, balanced,
> ported and plumbed for dry sump oiling.  Outside of that it uses all
> the same accessories of my NASCAR engine.
>
> Once I installed this engine in my car back in late 2003 I
> immediately had a problem with water temperature creep, where the
> water temp would just keep rising as it idled.  I shut it down once
> it reached 210 and scratched my head..  How could a brand new engine
> running proven accessories that supported a NASCAR engine and never
> ran hot ata all now fail me?
>
> Long story short, I found pretty quickly saw that the ratiator was
> not getting hot, removed it hand sure enough it was plugged.  Now
> this was a custom 7 core radiator built in 1985 by now defunct
> Webster Radiator in NY .  It was made on 7 cores of 3/8 tube in
> cross flow pattern and litterally didn't have 500 miles on it as I
> primarily showed the car off a trailer.
>
> I had the radiator 'rodded' to clean it out and merrily proceeded to
> reinstall it.  Fast forward through a move to Northern IL I never
> proceeded with the further testing till this spring.  Pull the car
> offf the jacks  this spring and start it up to test the cooling
> system and same thing happens, but much very slowly.  The engine can
> idle fine but as soon as I add any heat by driving it or reving it
> it can't disapate the heat generated.  This time, however, the
> radiator was seemingly getting hot.  Take the radiator out again and
> over to a shop and have it flow tested.  Told it was fine and
> reinstalled.  Start the ccar and it still has water temp creep.  I
> decided to enlist a second pair of eyes and have a race engine
> builder watch the car warm up with me and a friend of his was
> watching and recommended using an infared heat gun to measure the
> engine and rediator temp as she warms up.  As dwe do we see that the
> engine warms up fine with no apparent hot spots.  The top few inch!
>  es of t
> he radiator are engine temp but as you test the lower rows of the
> radiator the temp drops radically.  (i.e top inlet 170 degrees and
> bottom of the radiator 100 degrees).  We believe that only a few
> rows of this monster radiator are working and that the tiny 3/8
> tubing may have accelerated its clogging.  I learned that today
> radiator technology has changed dramatically from the eighties.  New
> [...]

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA     NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 53168 (262) 843-4326
          JOIN NAMDRA, the best AMC club around!!!
'06 AMC NATIONALS - SEP. 14-16, 2006 - CORDOVA DRAGWAY PARK, CORDOVA, IL
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974,  NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766