Re: [AMC-List] Brake balance valve

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 10:49 -0700, russ hathaway wrote:
> So Brian, do I understand that if I don't care for the
> warning light (when I run into that semi I will know
> the brakes failed) I can just do without that doo dad.
> I would like to hook up my brake sending unit off that
> first junction, then get an adjustable prop valve like
> all them big city hot rods have.....Russ

Yup. I now wish I had done just that when I replumbed the brakes in my
Hornet; I recreated the factory setup (with later model brake-imbalance
switch setup). I should have just plumbed it without that silly valve,
it would have saved a lot of clutter and inconvenient brakeline bending.

The check valve in the master cylinder provides the held-pressure for
the rear drum brakes.

You can set front/rear balance with the aftermarket prop valve I think
Doc mentioned, or simply choose the right rear wheel cylinder bore
(which will get you as close as the factory does it). Most of the rear
wheel cyls I've looked at in catalogs (bendix, wagner) have at least two
bore diameters for the same fit part. If you're roadracing or
autocrossing etc the valve would probably be worth the effort.

As far as I can tell, that valve just turns the dash lamp on when the
front or rear system is basically out of fluid (or shoes slipped out
from beyond-extreme wear, broken parts, accident, etc). I'm all for
safety, but IMHO it's not worth the system cost. Even casual maintenance
is worth a lot more.