Re: [AMC-List] AM radio computer MP3 player...

On Tue, 2006-06-27 at 06:08 -0700, Mark Price wrote:
> Us old guys with high frequency hearing loss don't notice much if you
> record at the highest resolution [or whatever they call it!]. I
> personally don't have the patience to do more than burn some mix CDs
> from windows media! My kids have their desktops jammed with stuff and
> MP3 players, one has an IPOD. It's all status symbol crap. But kinda
> neat in it's own way. My Sony head unit in the American has an IPOD
> input, never tried to use it. The Cd changer in the Cherokee has MP3
> disc capability times 12 discs, never tried to do it either! Just to
> d@mn#d! old and grouchy!

Probably right on the mp3 high-freq part. A car is a lousy place to
listen to music, also, anything loud enough sounds good!

I like old cars mainly for the simplicity. I have to have an intimate
relationship with it's workings; that's fine, I like that. But I wanted
a sound system that was 100% in line what what makes driving 40 year old
cars so good, that brutally stripped down clean functionality mixed with
decent (occasionally good) design.

Car controls are BIG, pull, push, CLICK; lever move inches, switches
click loudly, are made of metal and big plastic, body color or chrome or
black. I didn't want a delicate, flimsy, thief-inviting,
confetti-colored thing with microscopic fussy little controls. I wanted
BIG KNOBS GO CLICK. Cars are body prosthetics, a physical world, not a
virtual one.

I did get rather carried away with it. It's the sort of stuff I make
though, other than cars, and I teach this stuff to grad students, so
it's the sort of thing I can pick at and get done over time.

(I wish my Rambler was old enough to have a tube AM radio.)