Re: [AMC-List] Bad Weather, Missing Parts & A Busy Shop Slowing Things D

Re: [AMC-List] Bad Weather, Missing Parts & A Busy Shop Slowing Things Down

On Sun, 2006-06-25 at 08:12 -0400, Mr. AMC wrote:

> The thermocoupler to automatically operate the fan was
> not in the installation kit I bought. It is supposedly on it's way. Will
> also be adding a 35 amp switch to the fan to allow it to work on the
> thermocoupler or manually on & off.

Just anote on installing those electric-fan thermostats -- the
instructions usually call for inserting the bulb/probe into the water by
slipping it through the hose connection with a foam pad etc.

Don't -- it's a waste of time and is far more trouble than it's worth.
Just lay the bulb along the side or top seam of the top radiator tank
and put a thin film of silicone rubber on it to hold it in place. Done!
(I taped it down til it cured.)

The thermal coupling between the water, top tank, and thermo bulb is
just about perfect. We're not taking the temperature of an infant!
There's kilowatts of waste heat in there, I could measure not even
1-degree difference between any of the coolin system components up
there. Intefering with the top radiator hose is just asking for leaks
(and mess).