Re: [AMC-List] Balance Valve Braking

On Fri, 2006-06-23 at 06:20 -0400, Brien Tourville wrote:

> My question is about the plumbing of the brake lines.
> Every AMC I see has the drivers front brake line
> branched off before the line goes to the balance
> valve.

None of the proportioning valves balance brake pressure left to right;
only forward to rear, so L-R braking isn't affected by the valave
anyways, and for all practical purposes, line length in (say) the front
system doesn't matter; master cyl pressure equalizes left-to-right even
with different length lines.

And a lot of the valvey-looking blocks on the lower firewall in AMC cars
are not proportioning valves; they are only brake-failure-light
switches, that look for a big difference in pressure front-to-rear and
make that dashlight come on. Some have prop. valves, some don't,
depending on application.