Re: [AMC-List] 65 American speedo

On Wed, 2006-06-21 at 01:49 -0400, Frank Swygert wrote:

> I'd have thought the gears would have been cut to turn
> the speedo in the same direction, but they turn opposite. I guess it
> was easier just to specify the opposite rotation when ordering the new
> speedo clusters.

That's not possible -- the physics of the thing require that for the cup
and pointer to go clockwise [looking from the driver's seat], that the
cable turn clockwise.  Therefore, cable rotation must be constant.

This can be done by flipping the direction of the teeth on the tailshaft
worm gear. One direction for driven-gear-under, the other for
driven-gear-over.

I still predict that the speedo needle smacking 0/120/0/120 is the most
ordinary reason, kinked housing. I'll bet you a virtual beer :-)

tomj