Re: [AMC-List] 65 American speedo

On Mon, 2006-06-19 at 09:42 -0400, Gary L. Kirk wrote:
> Frank, The problems are, this one swings wildly from 0 to 120 wheras the
> other one just jumped a little and clicked annoyingly loud. I put in a new
> cable which turned out to be a little long. There fore first thing the
> plastic insulation got a little melted but I don't think it hurt it.

This last little detail is almost certainly the problem. The cable
insert winds up, catches on a kink, bump or melted spot in the housing,
then lets go, flinging the pointer to 120. Speedos that do what you say,
100% of the time it's a cable problem.

The good news is, pretty much any speedo cable housing with the right
trannie end will fit your car. Some will be too long by 6" or so, BFD.
I've never seen an AMC speedo end that didn't fit. For automatics, it's
pretty much either a BW end or a Torqueflite end.

The factory does a good job of locating and mounting the speedo cable
away from the hot exhaust, etc, but with time and inexpensive
aftermarket exhaust systems, they all seem to end up getting cooked. You
have to make very sure you keep the speedo cable far way from the
exhaust and tie it down well.

I also insulate the speedo cable with slit heater hose and plain old
household aluminum foil folded 4 - 6 times. Aluminum foil makes a
fantastic heat insulation. I'd guess that the speedo cable should be a
minimum of 4" from the exhaust.

--
Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
World Power Systems