Re: [AMC-List] Report from the desert

Wow! Sounds like you're having some of the fun I had before! (only mine was in Seattle and BC. I had one sell the house I was living in and I got 24 hours notice to move from some unsavory wanna-be bikers sent by Andy Z*** of Chilliwack. I lost several convertibles and other parts cars over that) The run on and sudden jamming tells me the cam probably walked and bound up on the dist drive or dropped behind the timing cover. (smacking my head) Oh! Duh! Bent connecting rod that twisted and stopped the motor! (been there, done that with a 232) It's possible it dropped a valve too, but the backfire that wouldn't go away is usually a bent rod tipoff. (pushrod or connecting rod) Con rods happen often from over revving or hydraulicing (common in Jeeps that try to pass UNDER the waves. <G>) I would do a 4.0L cam button and timing cover on the replacement engine so cam walk doesn't happen in the future though.

From: Michael Bailey <route66rambler@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [AMC-List] Report from the desert
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

Hi, been a while, thought I'd check in.  The 258 engine seized
on my 74 Gremlin, Molly last night.  It's had a good miss going
on for a while now,  with an inconsistent backfire, and no
amount of tuning would take it out.  Last night I pulled up to a
store, and when I shut her off, there was just a split second of
dieseling-like noise, and that has never happened before.  When
I tried to start her after coming out, it acted like the starter
was drawing too much current(click click).  After a little
checking, it became apparent that the motor is frozen.  Well,
Phoenix in June, maybe "frozen" isn't the right word.  At any
rate, I'm sure that I know exactly what's wrong. I just thought
it would be interesting to see what some of the guesses from
list members would be BEFORE I take it apart.

(snip)

See ya, gotta go load the truck(or was that pull a drivetrain?).
mike