Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission wanted

>Date: Thu, 15 Jun 2006 5:51:44 -0700
>From: Mark Price <markprice242@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
>Subject: Re: [AMC-List] 3 sp transmission wanted
>For towing, you'd be hard pressed to beat the 727, Go with a low gear set
>for extra grunt if your rebuilding it IIRC they are not that expensive.
>That way you can keep Higher gears in the axle and still get the rig
>rolling. For top of the line pulling and cruising throw in a Gear vendors
>overdrive! then you have a full 6 speed automatic! of course your wallet
>will be $2500-$3000 lighter by the time you buy the controller and
>everything."

I agree that using/rebuilding the 727 I already have would be a wise choice.
  Just thought I'd ask about available 3 speeds, ya never know!

Andrew's comments in a later post about using a beefed-up 998 would work as
well, and is worth looking into.  I don't intend to haul a trailer full of
bricks, just want the capability to take the American on a trailer to car
shows behind the wagon.

I also don't really want a floor shift if I can avoid it.  The idea of doing
a 4 sp on the column like your friend's Cheby truck is interesting, never
thought of that!  But, I just sold a good T10 combo as luck would have it.

Something I do have, that I had intended to get rid of, is one of the "fake
toploaders".  These were 4 speeds, but 4th was an OD, and were produced in
the late 70's.  Mine has a "D7" tailshaft code, which is '77 in fordspeak,
and was built in '77 or '78 from what I can find out.  These supposedly
don't have alot of torque capability - they weren't built for performance -
but they might have sufficient strength for what I want, not sure.  I
haven't actually found any accurate torque ratings for them.

The Gear Vendor's OD would be ideal behind the 727, but I think if I was to
spend that kind of money, I could do things cheaper, er, I mean, more cost
effective, by buying a well-built 700R4 and install using an adapter from
Advance Adapters, or buy one used as they are out there in the Jeep
community.  I haven't looked in awhile, but I think you can buy the R4's
already built from TCI or the like for ~$1500 or so.

I do have access to a free 200R4 that came out of a SS Monte Carlo - like an
early-mid '80's car.  These supposedly were the good ones.  Not sure what it
would take to make it worthy for my purposes.

I think this just keeps putting me back to the 727 sitting there quietly
underneath one of my workbenches...

Jim Boone
Mims, FL