Re: [AMC-List] my 62 classic project

" From: d stohler <das24rules@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" is the floor pan a similar length in my 62 classic to use a 'stang
" tranny with tailhousing? i want to still be able to slide my seats
" forward, as it makes the bed. all i have found s10 t5's for is the
" 4 cyl. im quite sure they are real weak arent they? they still are
" not much cheaper than a stang either.   i am still unable to know
" what gear i might have in the axle now. someone posted gear for an
" o/d equiped. i guess they didnt read that i was a non o/d putting
" one in. it is a 62 classic custom, 196, 3 speed 2 door.

s-10 t5s are much the same as jeep ones, even use the same internals
some years -- but you don't need the whole tranny, just the tailshaft
housing.  put it on a 'stang t5 for a fwd shifter loc, that's what the
rodders do.  you might want the s-10 front bearing retainer too; amc
t5s [and their bells] have the smaller gm diameter, not the slightly
larger ford size, and it might save you some machine work.

if you want to keep your torque tube, you might be able to fab
something using a jeep t5 t/c adapter and a custom block adapting the
tt to the t/c pattern.  dunno if you'd be stuck for a speedo drive
though; i think jeeps drive it from the t/c.