Re: [AMC-List] decoding vin info

> here is the info for the car.
> 1966 rambler amirican 4 door with a str 6, 3 speed the
> tree, drums on all four wheels.
>
> vin
> A6KS50A157867
>
> BODY
> 077516
>
> MODEL
> 6605
>
> TRIM
> 628-C
>
> PAINT
> 20-A
>
> UNDER THAT IS
> EU05984
>
> THE CAR HAS 14 INCH TIRES AND RIMS,
> WOULD YOU KNOW OF ANY OTHER RIMS FROM OTHER CAR
> COMPANYS THAT I MIGHT BE ABLE TO GET SOME BIGGER RIMS
> FOR THIS CAR FROM JUNKYARD DIGGING?

Go to www.amcrc.com and look under Tech Info. The VIN decoding is in an
article there. The body number is the order the body came out of the
body plant. Model number breaks down to 1966 (66), Series 01 (0 -
American), 4 doord sedan (6). The trim number indicates the year (6 =
last number of year) and seat type and color (2 = bench seat, I think 8
is black and white?). The -C indicates cloth seats (cloth and vinyl). I
don't have the code for the paint handy, but 20 is the color, A
indicates acrylic enamel. The last number is the Final Assembly Number.
That "U" should be another "0". E is for the East assembly line at
Kenosha, and it was the 5984th car to come off the East line for the 66
model year. All models were mixed on the same line, so it wasn't the
5984th American. The last six digits of the VIN indicate it was the
157,867th car ordered b an AMC dealer, it has nothing to do with
production sequence. IIRC the 66 and later VINs were total number of
cars, not total for that model.