Re: [AMC-List] Wanted Magnum 500s

Gary
SNIP
Looking for a set of 4 Magnum 500s. These will go on my 65 American with
the
original 6 banger, so they can be on the smaller side. (not even sure if
more
than one size was used.) I am not sure of any different backsets either?
I will
consider any usable set, altho a set painted up the proper way would be
nice. I
do not need the center caps but do need a set of the retainers. I can
get the
chrome rings anywhere. I can be reached anytime at 757 651 4513
 <mailto:glkirkbuilders@xxxxxxx> glkirkbuilders@xxxxxxx   Gary in
Virginia 23322
SNIP
The early Magnum 500s as used on the AMX and Javelin cars from 1968
through 1974 were 6?wide wheels. The Magnum 500 wheels use on the ?79
and ?80 AMX were 5 ½ inch wide wheels so there are two different widths
out there along with a couple of variations in paint and trim. I have
seen people sold the later wheels in lieu of the earlier ones by some
sellers with questionable ethics.
Magnum 500 wheels were also used on Ford and Chrysler cars in some cases
almost identical in trim to the AMC applications and they can be
purchased as reproductions from Eastwood I believe. As far as trim rings
go, good luck. Yup, you can buy trim rings anywhere but the right trim
rings that actually fit on the wheels and look as they did when the
wheels were first used is a whole different ball game. This might be a
good time to start junk yard looking. I have seen nice looking Magnum
500s on Mavericks.
John