[AMC-List] Timing

When we  time this engine (4.0),  the timing light says that we  are at 60
degrees total advance.   Pulling the timing back to 30  degrees total...and the
engine will not run.

We are starting at TDC on the compression stroke.   We follow the
instructions that place the rotor button on number one terminal on the  distributor cap.
   The headers are glowing cherry red.

What are we doing wrong or can you please give me the correct sequence to
time this thing?

ed