Re: [AMC-List] (one of the) most beautiful cars I've ever seen...

Re: [AMC-List] (one of the) most beautiful cars I've ever seen...

On Fri, 2006-06-09 at 04:44 +0000, francis.swygert@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
wrote:

> NH -- who doesn't -- but the plain thing on p. 70 is a goddamn Nash
> Rambler channelled, roof chopped off, cab moved back, and to me pretty
> much the prettiest two-seat car I've ever seen, bar none, no exceptions.
> Inline six! Three speed! Side curtains!
>
> So I've been thinking, how could I make one? I care not for
> authenticity, Cars Are For Driving. Clearly it's a stock Nash grille
> (article says so and it's also obvious). Hacking a bathtub Rambler is
> probably crazily impractical. It's vaguely Healey-ish, but far more
> Nash-ish. Oh woe is me.
>
> Well, you could do the same with a 58-60 American, except the headlights
> would be out on the fenders. What you describe is exactly what I have
> planned for the 62 American two door sedan I have stashed back home
> though.

(The car in HCC has the headlamps out on the fenders...)

For me, right now, this is worthless hot air, but this afternoon it
occurred to me it might be easier to make a hotrod chassis, and skin a
bathtub American to create a body for it; that way I could get around
the unibody structural problems I'd create, or the weakness of removing
the roof, etc.

It would need to be sectioned the entire length. Probably could use the
hood close to as-is. Leave cowl-forward intact, gut firewall for the
motor length. Roof, off. The rear quarters would be actual work though,
to get the classic line (from the front fender down) to the rear haunch.

I don't have an indoor place to work on cars; I have too many things to
do; we already have a full stable of cars; I don't have the body skills
but hey perfection isn't needed for fun or reliability.

Eh. Nice to think about though. I'll keep a mental eye on this project
though. Maybe I can find a Healy with a bad driveline, gut it and
Ramblerize it, call it a Rambler Healey :-) Won't be as pretty as that
thing in HCC though.

--
Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
World Power Systems