Re: [AMC-List] plastic valve covers on the 258

Re: [AMC-List] plastic valve covers on the 258

On the metal valve covers, I ended up getting one from Kennedy I believe it
was, although AJ at South Texas AMC also stocks them. It was just I was able
to get ahold of Jeff first, AJ get my money next time. This was or my 82
Eagle which caught fire a few months ago. I adjusted the carb too mcuh and
the manifold was glowing down there and caught old oil on fire and I was
able to put it out with pitcher of water quickly. I decided to drive it
home, about 2 miles, knowing that it would possibly catch fire again, but
this time I had two gallons of water in car in case. As driving dwon
Brittmoore I noticed some smoke, and car started running harsh and made it
to house, driveway trhen lifted hood only to have a hot blast of fire hit
me, this time was worse, so got hose and sprayed everything off, the valve
cover was melted off, water got all in carb, engine, steam and smoke
everywhere.

Amazingly enough I drained the engine, picked the melted cover and hoses of
next day, changed oil, cranked right up, let it run, no cover, for about
hour, then changed oil again with fresh oil, no problem. On the valve cover,
I didn't tap in the holes in the head, simply just bolted it down really
well with blue Permatex as Tom mentioned. I had heard stories about how hard
it is to put a valve cover on a Eagle near wiper motor but it was simple,
just took off the four bolts that hold it to firewall, slid cover under
while holding up motor, and rebolted it to firewall.

The eagle still runs and drives great no problems and no leaks and has a
shiny new aluminum valve cover to boot. Good luck with yours.
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx