[AMC-List] Electronic Ignition Conversion Question

[AMC-List] Electronic Ignition Conversion Question

AMC team,
I'm sure this has been asked before but as I am new I was wondering if
someone could go through the process of converting a 1971 AMC V8 Javelin
(360 4bbl) from points to an electronic ignition. I looked at a Mallary
Unilite system this weekend. It appears to tuck inside your distributor
cap and break a light beam which causes the ignition to fire. There are
also extra wires that come with it that have to be hooked up. I am going
for a somewhat stock look so my question is this: Did AMC or Jeep make
an electronic factory distributor in the mid-80's that will work on my
Javelin ? Please describe what's involved with the conversion and what
car is best to pirate the parts from. Also, if there are any modules,
relays, wiring harness, fuse panel issues to keep in mind. Thanks for
the help. At $89 to Unilite looks like a pretty good value. Goodbye
dwell ...

I did get my copy of the Muscle Car Enthusiast this weekend and the Dyno
article on the AMC 390 and the article on Guy Hasdall were both
excellent. I encourage you to go out and grab one soon.

I subscribe to AMO, NAMDRA, Hemmings Muscle Machines and MC Enthusiast.
All are enjoyable for different reasons. Does anyone know if Muscle Car
Review was back up and running ? That was my favorite but it bit the
dust about 4 years ago.

J T