Re: [AMC-List] AC installing

" From: J Johnson <imfatdad@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" I was wondering, using a vintage AC unit, will one need to use the
" older, more costly Freon in order for it to function??  Have been told
" that the alledged compatible mix stuff out now basically can cause
" seizures of internals as the oils when mixed together are not truly
" compatible..   Now if a unit is completely uncharged, the newer 134 (I
" think is called) CAN be used, yes???  Thanks in advance..

no, you don't have to use r12.  the compatible stuff is in fact
compatible.  the main issue with it is they can't recycle it the way
they do with r12 or r134 because they're single compounds which can be
easily separated from the oil but compatibles are afaik all mixtures
which if anything are too compatible with the oil and not separable at
all.  also, it's fairly well known that r134 isn't quite as frosty as
r12, but i've heard that some of the compatibles cool better.

vy important!  r12 and r134 use different oils, incompatible with each
other, and several parts such as hoses and dryers are not
cross-compatible either.  you can't just empty the r12 and recharge
with r134, but it is possible to convert.  i -think- the '64 with the
sanden was running r134 but i'm not sure.