Re: [AMC-List] dash lights on gremlin

Steve, several things on the electrical problem with the gauges. One, if the
car is a 74, almost every 1974 AMC I have owned has been 'electrically
challenged' and have some sort of wiring or electrical problems. Most of it
has to do with the Seat Belt Interlock system the feds imposed on US
automakers in 1974, and was such a disaster, it was lifted for 1975. My 74
Sportabout I had to bypass the ignition for instance and put in remote
starter button. The 74 Gremlin I recently sold had fuel/temp problems in the
gauges, they were doing same like yours.

If not a 74, here are a few things besides what Joe Fulton mentioned, to
try:
1. make sure your ending is grounded, there should be a wire from
crossmember to engine on passenger side. It may look good but pull it and
check to see if it is even tight and not rotted.
2. the gauges themselves....I can't tell you how many times I have battled
AMC gauge problems only to find out it was loose gauges. Vibration thru the
years, from something like tire out of rotation, broken motor or trans
mount, bad tire, you name it, but it can vibrate tem loose. So if you pull
your gauge cluster out, if you can turn the small 5/16th(?) bolts that hold
the gauges to the circuit board....by hand, this could be the problem. I
have made it a point in recent years to check these first, only to find it
is usually the problem a majority of the time. Case in point is my 69
Ambassador SST for sale for only $975 in a shameless plug (wha, like no one
here didn't see that coming, duh)
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=4630772691
the gas gauge didn't work, so I removed the instrument cluster and yes, it
was loose, tightened it and works great now, this was just a month ago.
3. fusebox. Most if not all AMCs fuseboxes are held on by two small 5/16th
bolts, these too also get loose from vibration. You might remove both
screws, check the back of the fusebox to see if any scorch marks, and if so,
change it out, you can find fuseboxes on ebay or here for usually under $20.
4.On some year Gremlins there is a plug from inside wiring harness to
firewall, while I have seldom had trouble with these I have had a few
problems with same thing, loose. Having someone sit in the car while you
jiggle the right wire and watch temp gauge helps. Also make sure that you
don't have any carb return spring to the temp sending unit in the intake is
a V8, boy, like a dumbass, I have put carb return springs there only to
crater the unit.
5. lastly check to see if the gauge cluster is grounded. Something you could
do is run a wire from the cluster to something like dash metal frame or
ignition switch, something that is a good ground, just move the wire around
to something to see if anything jolts the gauges. If they drop, then this is
a easy fix, get a eyelet and wire and run the wire to dash frame or firewall
to solidly ground it.
Good luck,
Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX