[AMC-List] 62 classic and front swaybar bolting

[AMC-List] 62 classic and front swaybar bolting

If you thru bolt the sway bar like this, another way to do it so you don't crush or distort the frame rails is to drill the hole you need for the bolt in the bottom and thru to the top. Then take a bit as large as the outside of a piece of pipe, your choice on size depending on what will fit over the bolt! Drill this size in the top of the rail only.
 Drop the pipe in the rail and mark it flush with the top of the rail. Then cut it off.
Use the bolt and a washer under the head of the bolt then the pipe.
Like so,
   T    Bolt
   --     Washer
   II   pipe
   --  Lower frame rail
   -- swaybar bracket
   # Nut

This diagram sucks, but it's all I could get to work out with this web based email!
The idea is your creating a shouldered bolt that only applies force/clamping on the lower frame rail and none on the upper. If you use a large enough fender washer at the top spot you will not see the larger hole around the pipe.
 This method will allow you to tighten the sway bar bracket fully and not crush the frame rail.

--
Mark Price
markprice242ATadelphia.net