Re: [AMC-List] 1992 escort stalling

Bryan,
Not sure if I can be any help but--------
SNIP
Does anybody have any suggestions on what might be wrong.
I am trying to fix it myself
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks
Bryan
SNIP
Apparently access to the fuel pump is through the back seat.
You have to remove the seat to gain access, at least for some of the
fuel pump related diagnostics. (Info obtained from a Chilton type of
tech. manual)
Are sure it is loss of fuel that is causing the stalling. Does the
stalling happen with enough frequency so you can be there to catch it?
If so, having a fuel pressure gauge as a diagnostic tool is not a bad
thing to have. Checker carries them as I suppose many others do to. I
finally bought one this spring as I was getting tired of guessing. It
has become an oft used tool.  Seems to me about $35.00 or so got me one
that was workable.
A pressure gauge hooked up to the fuel injection regulator/rail becomes
very handy to have it gives indications of regulator and pump problems.
If lines were kinked because of the rear end accident this may screw up
the fuel pump delivery and the operation of the regulator.
Past that, not sure I can be of any better help.
Good Luck
John.
Obligatory AMC content, fuel pressure gauge was also used on FI
conversion on 1980 Spirit.