Re: [AMC-List] response to Spark Plug question

On Sun, 2006-05-21 at 21:22, Dan Curtis wrote:

> Now to your question regarding the Bosch 4 tip plugs, you need to keep in
> mind that an electrode can only arc to any one of the four prongs on a given
> cycle from the ignition.

Yeah, that stuff is a crock. Modern engines cram a well-mixed fuel::air
mixture right up into that spark gap area, and if there's a big fat
spark it will go off.

> Rather than go for the over price plugs, spend your extra money on the
> electronic ignition upgrade kit for your distributor,

Points are Cool, but nothing beats a hot spark from a good electronic
ignition!

This happened to me today: I did a minor tuneup at 1yr/16,000 miles on
my 258 Hornet. Plugs, cap, rotor, timing tweak, idle mix tweak. Ran fine
at idle, couldn't go over 2000 rpm without severe breakup!

I checked timing (OK), then looked at the cap & rotor. I'd bought Blue
Streak. It didn't look right...

Long story short, on the bench, the tip of the rotor missed the cap
connection by nearly 1/4 inch! Rotor (118X) marked clearly "6 CYL". Got
out the old Standard brand (a much heavier gray plastic), clearance from
rotor tip to cap connection about .010".

Crap parts, even when you pay good money. That cap was not cheap! Back
it goes.

Quality parts and documented settings beat gimmicks any day.