[AMC-List] Valve adjustment, Life adjustment

[AMC-List] Valve adjustment, Life adjustment

I just wanted to say how huge a difference correctly adjusting the valves on
my Metropolitan made.  No more shaking engine at idle, no more stalling at
stops, and top speeds in excess of 70mph!  I bet this will improve my
disappointing 31mpg highway too.  I was always amazed at how much the engine
shook at idle, but not having been around in 1959, I maybe assumed that's
just the way things were back then.  Not true!  The valves should be set to
.015", but some had no clearance at all!  Preload even. This is all after I
carefully rebuilt the carb and distributor too.  The lesson here, if it
feels like there's something wrong, there is.  Things should be noticeably
good.

In other news, I got my 30 day notice.  The housing market has peaked so the
owners of the place I'm in are selling before the crash so I have to find a
new place.  Any Los Angeles area listers with ideas or leads, let me know.
A two car garage with just about any living space attached or nearby is what
I'm seeking, or a small industrial space that could be filled with Ramblers.
  Thinking westside.

I've been pondering using this crisis as a excuse to get rid of all my (4)
cars and parts and do something else with my spare time: advance my career?
have more adventures? figure out what other people do who don't have this
particular automotive issue?  It's the old question of would you give up all
that you have if it meant getting instead everything you've ever wanted?
Of course there's no guarantee of that.  Hmm.

Or do I find a new place with the car hobby as the priority?

Mike Kindle