Re: [AMC-List] Switching to disc brakes.

Re: [AMC-List] Switching to disc brakes.

" From: itsmebt@xxxxxxx
"
" Got a 1966 American 440 being restored and wondering if we can switch the front brakes to disc brakes. Can it be done? if so, how and what do we need? Also, looking for fender trim and top chrome trim for same 2 door coupe. Can use other parts too.

easy peasy - oughta be a faq!  all amc front brakes swap if you
include the spindles.  for disks, later is easier and cheaper for
parts, so look for an '82-3 concord or spirit first.  get everything
brake-related you can from it, m/c, proportioning valve, etc.

some of these cars come with 10" rear brakes which you could use too,
but that's a tougher job and less important.

get the wheels too while you're at it.  radials, even 185/75s which
would be stock equivalent for an american, are much happer on wide
rims than the skinny 4.5" stockers.  and if you're real lucky the new
ones will still have hubcap bumps and you can snap your little
dogdishes on!