Re: [AMC-List] 73 Matador & 71 Matador for sale

Date: Friday, May 12, 2006 11:42 AM
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

On Thu, 2006-05-11 at 18:33, Eddie Stakes wrote:
> Eh, the one I had for sale was for sale for a staggering 6+ years. Have
> NEVER Atried so hard to sell a AMC. Relentless ads for $4500, then $3500.
> Put it on ebay with reserve not, once, not twice, but three times before
> listing it for $1900 and NO reserve where it sold for $2650.
Tom Jennings wrote:
Eddie, that car was, let's say, not quite pristine when I looked at it.
I think it's condition had more to do with it not-selling than 'whatsa
matador?'Actually the big selling points (positives) were probably three
things. 1. Ultra low mile original. 2. Heavy documentation from day one in
Birmingham.3. The interior and body were solid, something mentioned by the
buyer when he picked it up.The non selling points (negatives) were: 1. Rust
in trunk (but NOT in 1/4s at allit was humidity rust; no other rust
whatsoever on vehicle; 2. It was a 304, and while 210 horsepower, still a
304. And being a Automatic, it had that piece of sheet AT AMCused from 70-71
with the 304s, can't remember what it is but they deserve to be thrownin the
bayou behind my house with all those Borg Warner M12 boat anchors that the
snappingturtles love to sun themselves on. 3. And this should probably have
been #1 as it was THEmost asked question in the about 2500 days (6-7 years)
I tried to sell that car, but everyone wanted to know if it had Air
Condition, and when I told them no, it didn't matterit had won America's Cup
or had 13 original miles, it didn't have AC. One more note on that 71
Matador I sold for $2650 after trying for so long. I mentionedthis earlier
for those who saw my other post on this. The new owner flew into Houston,
Texas and drove it home to Marietta, GA. Not without incident either! The
poor bastard didn't even get out of Houston, and hit ainfamous import
swallowing pothole on I-10. Ya'll can see how the State of Texas puts
HappyFace on construction from basically Sealy, TX to Loop 610, which is the
heaviest interchangein Texas. www.katyfreeway.org for happy loving feelings.
When completed....it is supposed tobe something like TWENTY FOUR lanes
across 1 1/2 miles south of me, yow, more lanes to clogwhen another
Hurricane Rita comes
this-a-way:http://www.planethoustonamx.com/stuff/texas%20vs%20rita.htmBut it
blew out a upper shock tower which was left somewhere on I-10. He spent 3
hours ata Firestone, as they had to special order the shock, and also
fabricate a shock tower. He called me later from New Orleans, where the
lights went out, and car died in now infamousNinth Ward! He locked
belongings in trunk (It had original AM logoed key) and walked to
callrelative who came by and AAA towed it to family residence in Metaire,
whereas he changed out the altenator and put new battery in it. Rest of trip
the next day was uneventful and he saidthe car ran flawlessly and super
smooth.Remember, while not "pristine" this was a car that was suddenly put
on the road for a 600-800(?) mile road trip from Houston to Georgia. Tires
were new....ten years ago. I didsome minor tune up on it, but whatever
negatives the car might have had, sort of vanishedby the fact that it was
driven on such a lengthy road trip after sitting so long. Still.....it was a
A Matador. And I tried to sell it for so long it was like the David Blaine
of AMCs holding your breath wishing for someone to come along and pick up a
nicecar. Yes, it needed paint, carpet, and some trunk work inside, but to
me, minor thingswhen looked at the bigger picture.Hopefully ya'll over in
Peach State will get to see this booger in near future, take alittle extra
time to look at it, even if you have to ask yourself What's A Matador?neat
to see original low miler AMCs still out there.And in a shameless plug (you
knew THAT was coming, duh) I still have a few left NOSNOS What's A Matador?
postcars for $4 eachNOS large Matador X and Cassini postcards for $4 each74
Special Dealership flyer with last year Ambassador $4559; first year Matador
X coupe $3046;yellow Levis'X 304 for $2481; Levis Edition blue Hornet
Hatchback $2799 and last year Javelin$2999, $7 for the cardboard NOS two
sided flyerOleg Cassini white Matador coupe NOS postcard $3Anyone want a
photo of them, email me directly. Also check my 'fee bay' auctionswhere I
have a number of different NOS cards and
brochures:http://search.ebay.com/_W0QQsassZeddiestakesQQhtZ-1 Eddie Stakes'
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx