[AMC-List] 64 Rambler Classic Progress Report (cont'd)

[AMC-List] 64 Rambler Classic Progress Report (cont'd)

Besides a trip to the junkyard today I tried to get to
the bottom of the 64 Classic oil pressure problem.

Yesterday I dropped the oil pan a few inches. I could
not drop it all the way in spite of the fact that it
looked like I had room before I loosened the bolts.
The crossmember was in the way.  I knew I would have
to drop the crossmember on an American, but I thought
the Classic with the modified motor mounts would have
enough room.  Did not want to hassle with the front
springs, so I did not drop the crossmember.

Anyway, I was able to see into the oil pan space and
feel around in there with a magnet.  I found nothing
loose and no metal shavings in the pan.  So I buttoned
it back up.

Today I worked on top of the engine.  Pulled the head
bolt which runs into the oil passage for the rocker
shaft.  I turned the engine over with no ignition
while that head bolt was out to hopefully allow oil
pressure to flush the passage. I felt around in the
head bolt "socket" and I think I found the oil passage
with a stiff wire.  There was no obvious debris on the
wire when I pulled it out.  The valve train overall
looks pretty clean, not all sludgy.   I put the bolt
back and torqued all of the bolts.  Then changed the
oil and filter and installed a mechanical oil pressure
gauge (from Napa).  I started the car and had 55
pounds of oil pressure at fast idle with cold oil and
no lifter noise even from the start.  The valve cover
was off so I could see that I had oil supply to all of
the rockers.  I added one quart of engine flush to the
oil and let it idle until it got good at hot.  Hot
idle oil pressure held at about 22 pounds which is
excellent in my mind.

So now I'll begin cleaning up the engine bay and
correcting other squawks on the car including:

Emergency brake cable is frozen (I have a spare).

Heater core is bypassed (probably leaking)

Steering wheel/horn assembly has been jury rigged.

Shifter linkage is connected now, but I still need the
correct clips.  The shafts on the shift rods are not
drilled for cotter keys so I used hairpins but they
seem too tight.  Would like to find the correct clips.

Regards,
Joe Fulton
Salinas, CA