Re: [AMC-List] 66 Rambler in $2006 Grassroots MotorsportsChallenge??

Re: [AMC-List] 66 Rambler in $2006 Grassroots MotorsportsChallenge??

warning - i wouldn't ordinarily have quoted this much, but i'm jumping
into the thread with jason...

" From: farna@xxxxxxx
"
" Jason is building a 66 American for the $2006 (or it might take until
" 2007) Grassroots Motorsports Challenge
" (http://www.grmotorsports.com/news/category/2006-challenge/). The main
" gist is you can only spend $200x to buy and build the car. The rules
" include a value for donated items, as after the first few years people
" were starting to get donated items that were pricey enough to start to
" skew the competition. The first ting below is the last thing I sent
" him. You have to scroll to the bottom and read up to make sense of the
" thread!
"
" ---------------------------
"
" Just keep me posted. For your car to handle better it really needs
" stiffer springs. American V-8 springs would help, but just a little.
" You might have to spend some money and order a set of front springs
" from www.coilsprings.com. Nearly $200, but a set of 115# per inch
" (constant rate -- the company will twist you a set of equivalent
" progressive rate springs) is what you really need. Those were the
" station wagon and convert. "handling package" springs. Standards are
" 80# per inch, V-8 93#. 68-69 Javelin V-8 springs are 100# -- you might
" be able to find a set of those used, but go for a set of Javelin V-8
" springs from a factory AC car -- they are the 115# springs. Used ones
" will have settled some, but will still be a big improvement over your
" stock springs. 67-69 Ambassador and Rebel V-8 springs 105#, but I'm
" not sure they will fit. I don't know what the outside diameter of the
" springs on the cars are. If the outside diameter is the same they will
" fit. I might be able to find someone with a set of used springs for
" you, will have to check. The sway bar from a Javelin or even a late
" model Hornet or Concord can be fitted relatively easy. You'll also want
" to start looking for a 79-83 Concord or Spirit for the front disc
" brakes. You need everything that comes off when you take the four bolts
" holding the spindle on out.

according to my old catalog, espo.com has front coils for $60/pr.
stock 6 are 80# but hd are 100#.  they also have 5-leaf hd rears [100#]
for $200.  i have hd all around on my '68 american along with kyb gas
shocks, and the ride is -stiff-.  [just checked their website -
apparently they don't have leafs anymore]

the big-car springs won't fit; they're completely different in
diameter and length.

through most of the '70s and '80s many amcs had 14x6" steel wheels;
some lack hubcap knobs and a few take smaller caps, but most accept
your rambler dogdishes just fine [think stealth] and you can run
205/70s.  they won't clear the front drums without a thin [1/8"]
spacer behind the wheel though.

if you drive the car much you'll quickly get tired of that t-96
'crashbox' first gear.  if your car is a 232 all you need is a '68-'70
232 american or javelin t-14 tranny and driveshaft; they'll bolt right
in.  if you have a 199 you'll need to replace the 'big nut' rear as
well, with a '65-9 232 or '67-9 199 american rear.  t-14s were used up
to '76; with provisos they can be used too.  stop and go is a lot more
pleasant with a synchro 1st!

probably a budget blower, but if you have wrenching and scrounging
skills, a 4.0 and tranny from a 2wd jeep can be transplanted with very
little hacking - it fits the original motor mounts for instance.
there are a number of subsidiary points but i'll leave it alone for
now.

btw based on spring capacities, the american 6 carries about 200lb
less on the front end than the v8.  that's good for handling!

" --
" Frank Swygert
"