Re: [AMC-List] 64 Rambler Progress Report

Re: [AMC-List] 64 Rambler Progress Report

Joe,

This sounds a little like the M.O. of my wagon before I got it. It did that
a couple of times and then ended up with almost a know that was persistent.
The end result was a very bent push rod
(http://www.mattsoldcars.com/1967american/) and evidence that the valves
and pistons gave each other a little kiss (no pictures of that but that's
what the machine shop told me). The engine actually ran okay on basically
five cylinders but was a little hard to start and down on power a touch.

Matt

At 06:04 AM 5/2/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>This is a 64 Rambler Classic which I picked up from a
>local junkyard rather than see it crushed.  Clean body
>which needs paint.  An early 232 has been transplanted
>into the car by a previous owner.  At first I thought
>it was one of the scarce 232 4-doors which were made
>by AMC along with the Rambler Typhoons, but the
>homemade engine mounts give the transplant away.
>
>The car started fine two days ago.  It had a slight
>lifter tick which went away as it warmed up.  All I
>did to get it running was replace the burned points
>and condenser.  The car was horribly out of time too.
>The distributor wasn't loose, but it did sit in the
>front yard of the junkyard several weeks so someone
>could have tampered with it.
>
>Yesterday, when I started it after replacing the worn
>shifter column with another used column, there was a
>pronounced lifter tick which didn't go away as the
>engine warmed and there was a brief loud metallic
>sound like something loose in the oil pan.  Maybe I
>should have shut it down then, but the sound was only
>brief.
>
>Tonight I'll pull the valve cover and inspect the
>rocker shaft and push rods.  I'll also do a cold
>compression test before I start the engine, looking
>for clues.  I'll drain and strain the oil.  Any other
>suggestions?
>
>Regards,
>Joe Fulton
>Salinas, CA