Re: [AMC-List] More on Ram Air

Who is selling these? I'd very much like to see the repro parts.

-----Original Message-----
From: amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxx [mailto:amc-list-bounces@xxxxxxx] On
Behalf Of John Elle
Sent: Tuesday, May 02, 2006 10:47 PM
To: mail@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [AMC-List] More on Ram Air

ARMAND
SNIP
 I know the duct work and scoops are now being reproduced, and the
vacuum actuator is available from somewhere because Ford used the same
part.
SNIP
I personally do not know whether Ford Used the same part but apparently
the same vacuum solenoid was used by the Hornet for heater control. It
requires the mounting bracket to be re-bent to mount in the ram air
position. I have the one on my Donohue configured to be open all of the
time and it has been that way for about 15 years or better. It was
originally functional but the factory had a requirement to pass smog, so
if you do not have to meet that requirement or the smog check boys do
not catch it or care open all the time works.
SNIP
I think I could fabricate my own door and linkages, Just not sure about
the air cleaner body and top and the controls.
SNIP
I think at this time most of the plastic parts are being reproduced, not
sure completely, I know the gasket is. However the air cleaner bowl can
be fabricated from junk yard parts with a little creativity. You need a
14 inch diameter air cleaner bowl. The height of the sides will have to
be determined for your own applications. The variables are the
carburetor and intake manifold you are using and the particular bowl you
find. You need a mounting plate (bowl mount) that gives you a 10 inch
flat spot around the top of the carburetor. This will allow you to use a
10 inch open filter which is what many AMC I-6 engines used. The height
of the filter is perfect if you are using an AFB and an Air Gap
manifold, other heights can be found by going through filter application
books. If you are unable to find a used 14 inch bowl with the right side
heights and fits your 4bbl you can do some grafting depending on how
good your skills are. I used a 1966 Plymouth Satellite 318 2bbl bowl and
fitted it onto the bottom of an Edelbrock chrome air cleaner mount and
installed the "Chimney" so that it appeared factory and it all fits and
looks correct. I am sure you can find a 10 inch filter cap that can be
chromed, I have seen a bunch of them and they might even be made for
aftermarket.
It can be done! But it probably won't be cheap.
John