Re: [AMC-List] Door hinges......

At 01:24 PM 5/1/2006 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mon, 2006-05-01 at 09:35, William Renshaw wrote:
> > Are the door hinges on all small bodied AMC cars the same? Can I swap the
> > door hinges from my Matador parts car to my Gremlin? I have "tried" to
> > rebuild a pair on time on an Eagle that I had and to say the least...not
> > only was it a pain, they didnt last very long.
>
>I don't have an answer for you... It's a surprisingly crappy design,
>especially seeing how the hinges on my 1963 Classic are original (or at
>least, more than 18 years old since that's how long I've had it) and are
>barely worn.

Part of the difference is in door weight. An early sixties door is going to
weigh a bunch less than a 70's door due to the side impact beams. Also, two
door doors weigh a good bit more than  four door doors. One other thing
when messing with doors is to make sure that the hinges are properly
aligned. If you have the hinges cocked, you'll wear the pins out pretty
quickly.

Matt

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH