[AMC-List] Valve covers are a bitch!!!!

The simplist remedy for the aftermarket cast aluminum valve cover(s) is to
remove the wiper motor and the backing plate that the motor rests on. That
little "clippie" that holds everything together can be a P.I.T.A. (pain in
the a$$) but it gets it out of your way so you do have some room to work.
Another option is to place a large floor jack under the motor and a smaller
floor jack under the tranny, unbolt the motor mounts and very carefullly
pull the motor forward. BUT PULL IT AS FAR TO NOT PUT THE FAN INTO THE
RADIATOR!! That will also allow you to have some room to work. I use the
Clifford Performance valve cover on my Gremlin. The best way to glue it on
is to use contact cement. Place your valve cover gasket on a flat clean
surface, goop it up pretty good with contact cement and let it dry over
night. The cement has to be dry for it to work properly. NOW HERES THE
REALLY TRICKY AND STICKY PART. Use a small amount of the contact cement on
the stuff that has dried over night. Place the gasket on the valve cover,
you have to be quick or the stuffs going to stick and if the gasket isnt in
the right spot....well..... your screwed! I know this sounds like alot of
work to get somthing to work. I know I have been there and done that. The
gasket on my Gremlin has been on there for over 60,xxx plus miles with out a
leak or a drip or any problems. I also had to do the same thing to the 83
Eagle wagon that I had at one time. I thought I would "try" to drill and tap
the holes in the head with out removing the head..HOMER SIMPSON DID IT
AGAIN. Dont do it. Take the head all the way off and take it to a reputiable
machine shop and have them drill and tap the holes. Remove the wiper motor
and I use a flexiable screwin' driver to get back in between the fire wall
and the valve cover. You also have to remove the stock valve cover hold
downs that are on the rocker arms. What is nice about using the contact
cement is that you only use it on the side that sticks to the valve cover. I
never use anything between the gasket and the head itself. The valve cover
can be removed and replaced several times with out any problems as leaks and
stuff. I have never heard of an after market valve cover scrapping on the
rockers before. That is the reason that they are made....make room for the
after market rolller rockers. Its a lot of back bustin', nuckle bustin' work
but in the long run they are nice and you dont have all the rocker noise
like you do with the stockers. GOOD LUCK! KEEP THEM AMC'S ALIVE AND WELL!!

Bill Renshaw Lewiston Idaho
AKA Brother B.
AMC'S RULE.....the rest just drool like the dogs they are.
1973 Gremlin X "clone" (project)
1970 Original Hornet "plain jane"
1974 Matador Coupe "Parts car"