Re: [AMC-List] Storing an Engine

If the engine is sealed it's not likely to rust inside. Squirt some oil in the cylinders then rotate the engine a few times to coat the cylinder walls then stuff rags in all openings and duct tape over. The cylinder walls don't usually rust. If moisture gets in the intake or exhaust ports the rings can rust to the cylinder walls. They usually just stick, but can cause minor pitting on the walls where they were stuck. If the heads are off or loose rub the cylinder walls with a thin coat of grease. I've never stored one upside down, have stored several right side up as described above.

I've got a bare block that I rubbed grease in the bores and on all machined surfaces that's been sitting in the trunk of a parts car for 10 years. I checked it last time I was down. A little leaking in the trunk, some surface rust on the outside of the block, but all machined surfaces are ready to be cleaned and used.