[AMC-List] NOS AMC

>>chase scene driving a RAMBLER

As seen in trailer at:

http://www.videodetective.com/player.asp?publishedid=965721&src=big

Anyone know where someone could get these lights? (Only on export models
with the mixed red and yellow signal lens)

http://wagoneers.com/FSJ/rigs/TerryHalmshaw-AU-2006/kiks13.jpg
<<

Maybe start looking at:

http://stores.ebay.com.au/Sports-Lights-Store

My Easter vacation wasn't.  The "Manon" was made much more than another matinee because of the 75th anniversary hoopla (much of that, of course, thanks to automobiles [the Texaco-Metropolitan Opera Radio Network had shown Texans with oil and money could also buy culture and class], the Mets-Yankees meet was made much more than another baseball game because of dreams afield in early season, the "Polyphonic" press conference was made much more than another work day because I've designed many houses, helped design several buildings, and imagined a zillion dream cars, but have never designed (or dreamt of designing) any web sites, and the car show was much more than yet another stop on the tour 'cause Reine Renee and the Princesses were along for the ride.  Those two teen-aged ladies aren't "princesses" at all --- nice, grounded daughters (and mom leaves any her "crown" in the dressing room.)  Having lived in semi-rural farm areas and loving to ride horses, they know a thing or !
 two about trucks.

It was interesting to see which vehicles they found "bogus" and "lame" --- not always the ones I'd expected; it was also interesting to see how few car fans were fans of music.  One older woman who said her son-in-law owned several "foreign car" [who hears that term anymore?] dealerships on Long Island referenced the Rolex ad, two gay guys wondered if they could pose for cell phone photos, and several "furrin" industry executives in attendance asked for an autograph, but otherwise, it was just the typical car New York show.

While that means that it's never as good as the typical Detroit car show (let alone a Geneva car show), it was, as usual, a chance to talk with some of the knowledgeable car people one sees only at car shows --- indoors in the winter and outdoors in the summer or fall.  Not all the California car people came to the Javits, but all the Detroit car people, most of the European car people, and many of the Asian car people showed up at the 2006 show.

I see the Jeep Patriot looking more "real" than the Compass or the Caliber (more AMC looking as well), I see the Sky over the Solstice, I see Nissan's still stylin' over the heads of Honda, Toyota, and Motown (although I see a new G35 suffers from "can't leave it alone" syndrome), I can't see how people can see out of the new Scion sports coupe (I can't see out of the first one and it doesn't have a blind quarter that makes an AMX's sail seem see-through), I can't see what's new about MB's new E, I still can't see what's seen in Mopar's Magnum, Charger, and 300C (a memory from "more for less" AMC maybe?), and I can't see why somebody sees AMC in SEMA.  Is it 2006 or 1966?

http://tinyurl.com/lccab

But finally, I -can- see how the future of American car styling may be in the minds, eyes, and hands of those -Americans- who still do aspire to achieve.

Who really wanted to read, to think, to see, to speak, or to be better.

You don't have 5 minutes to read?  You won't have 18 to look and learn.

http://www.inform-ventures.com/fuse/

While away, this list thankfully defaulted to digest (so my IT peeps didn't repeat their "Chicken Little" act from when a European architect's PowerPoint e-mail overstuffed the "in" box), 700+ subscribers checked into TomJ's new list motel, several voices from old were heard anew (some to teach, some merely to scream, "Now cut it out!"), Scion lighted that new Fuse, Nissan lighted new taillights, "Doc" Hudson Hornet lit up a new silver screen, and "Doc" AMC Hornet re-lit an old digital fire with grit on a being-restored grill.

I hope I never have to do another one of these grill resto's ever again.
Sanding each individual rib in the grill has caused the sandpaper to
wear the skin off one of my finger tips.
<<

It's good 1950s-1960s W-I-D-E grilles are the hottest new design trend.

It's good 1990s-2000s M-B-look grilles are the coldest old styling cue.

It's good 2006-2007 NEW grilles are grinning at the New York Auto Show.

It's good 1000 words ON grilles are not improved by use of paragraph-y.

Me I am a person that cannot leave anything alone. I am always looking
for ways to improve everything not only my cars. My latest 74 Hornet
Hatchback project is my latest custom effort. It came with Western
Turbine style wheels and I detailed them with the same orange paint the
car is painted with between the ribs. For the knock off's I made from
scratch a copy of the AMC emblem on the panel below the hatch. I added
BFG T/A Radials. The car will get a complete set of 77AMX flairs and
rear window louver painted to match the car. The interior has all custom
modified and custom machined billet knobs on the dash and on the stock
window roller handles and on the stock column gear shift lever done by
me. The door panels are button and tufted black vinal done by me and
also I did all the panels in the hatch area the same. I also made a
diamond tufted panel for inside the hatch. I also added a door popper
for the hatch to save my fingers. The bench seat was replaced with 2
Javelin buckets that were similar to the stock Hornet buckets.The dash
has an Auto Meter tac in place of the stock clock. Since the emblem on
the glove box was missing I made my own using rub on model letters and
plastic and an AMC decal from my model parts. The car has no radio and
has a stock radio delete panel with a metal early Hornet front fender
emblem attached to the center of it using double stick tape. Under the
stock package tray is a factory gauge pod of unknown year with 3 Auto
Meter gauges mounted in a custom panel and a battery cut off switch. The
seats are upholstered with the stock 74 Hornet insert material with the
rest of them done in black vinal. The side windows are tinted the very
lightest smoke they make and it subtly sets off the orange paint. The
windshield will be tinted 6 inches down from the top with the light tint
and with a darker smoke tint lettering spelling out American Motors. I
still have to repaint the stock double black pin stripe on both sides of
the car as idiots polishing the car in the past have worn it off in
spots. Now this is a custom even you purest's would probably like. It's
98% stock AMC parts from different years.The engine has an Acell Super
Coil with a stock points dist. The stock carb has a manual choke and
when the tranny gets rebuilt it will have a B&M Trans Pack set on firm
and an aux. tranny cooler. I also replaced that horrible 35 amp Motorola
alt. with a 100 amp Delco and added a front sway bar. I replaced the
rear springs with ESPO HD ones with new poly bushing's and shackles. The
car got the usual mechanical's repaired, brakes, front end, water pump,
fuel pump, dist. tune up, hosed belts, wires and a new heater core and
fluid changes along with a new gas tank, sender all rubber fuel and
brake lines, the A/C recharged and a new radiator and much more. A lot
of work and money for a 500$ car in just 2 1/2 years. Good thing it ws a
99% rust free Florida car with almost mint original paint.
<<

Next year it'll be good when "vinal" tops are back on top at car shows.

It'll be like 1967 in AMC land again.  Simple choice.  Black and white.

http://tinyurl.com/fyzus

New.  Old.  Right.  Wrong.  Smart.  Dumb.  Everyone makes choices.

Read, write, learn, and maybe win.  Don't take any wooden nickels.

http://www.leftlanenews.com/2006/04/12/2007-nissan-altima-revealed/

http://adisney.go.com/disneypictures/cars/main.html?sec=1&car=4

https://secure.carsgiveaway.com/pages/entry.cfm

http://tomstrongman.com/ClassicCars/JerryNickel/Index.htm

Soon, all in America may be retired, working for Asia, or less,

http://search.japantimes.co.jp/cgi-bin/nb20060411a4.html

http://www.asahi.com/english/Herald-asahi/TKY200604080116.html

http://tinyurl.com/rdop3

dreaming of when Hudson, Nash, AMC and Packard still lived,

http://en.rian.ru/russia/20060414/46383952.html

http://www2.uol.com.br/bestcars/carros/classicos/zis-110-conv.jpg

remembering how designs were remembered by designer Teague,

http://www.desoto58.com/dreamcar/packard/predic3.jpg

remembering the past when looking at present and future,

http://digilander.libero.it/cuoccimix/zil111'57-'63-2.jpg

http://tinyurl.com/osffa

http://www.imstumped.com/pix/personal/1996/96pack3.jpg

when America still was smart and "looking smart" still was desirable,

http://www.tkautomobilia.com/Packard%20Lo-Rez/PK-5601-patrician-sm.jpg

when grilles, smiles, and horizons were broad and bountiful (when some  Cadillac clones tried to look like big and beautiful Rambler Americans)

http://digilander.libero.it/cuoccimix/zil41044cabrio.jpg

and even -Hornet- had all the other American automakers on the grill,

(you'll need to read a little to learn more (pp. 59 to 64 of the pdf)

http://www.rmauctions.com/Magazine/pdf/Jan2006.pdf

(if someone grills you on price, say $110k; almost 3X top estimates...)

and if anyone remembers when the "American Imperialist" Ambassadors

http://www.nashnut.com/archives/61amb-frt.jpg

http://homepage.mac.com/charger69rt/PhotoAlbum15.html

(click the photo above "DSC04675")

were respected and solid rather than rocked and stoned,

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/us-relations/nixon-caracas3.jpg

http://www.latinamericanstudies.org/nixon.htm

they remember when knowledge was considered something aspirational.

Maybe they don't care how they make themselves look today.

But now Americans can learn from history,

http://tinyurl.com/fhauk

(or not learn and repeat their mistakes)

http://tinyurl.com/zgqlb

whether it's the 1940s or the 1920s,

http://lafevers.com/amcssthistory.htm

http://tinyurl.com/lbah7

if AMC isn't one that "looks great but doesn't make any noise"

http://www.vaultcars.com/70AMXOrange/70AMX3604speedOrange.htm

if AMC doesn't want to look noisy and miss its silent history

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2102450

on 1980s AMX Turbos, AMC may need a gag, a nose job, a coup,

http://www.javelinamx.com/JavHome/articles/73hor2ad.jpg

(it has coupes) or a major facelift to look smarter.

AMC needs to copy some other last independents.

http://www.packardmuseum.org/pictures/misc/museum_grille.jpg

A grille is the face almost all cars show off,

http://www.packardmuseum.org/

(some even look good "grille-less")

http://www.theavanti.com/Brewer.jpg

but AMC shows off egg on face and grille.

Looking dumb is neither cool nor defiant.

Will AMC be a land of losers?

Will AMC be a lost cause?

You're what AMC is today.

Your grille is its face.

So until American motors lose -all- their American car-smarts,

http://carsguide.news.com.au/story/0,20384,18721905-21822,00.html

http://tinyurl.com/mg4zx

(A future US design VP...)

http://tinyurl.com/qvs43

reading should be fundamental and looking smart should be fun.

Don't hide your smarts behind dum old AMC grills.  That's sic.

"Dumb" AMC is dead for two decades.

Tomorrow's AMC should be smarter.

Tomorrow's AMC starts today.

AMC is what you make it.