Valve guide seals

I need some advise on replacing valve guide seals on my 258 6cyl in my 73
Gremlin. The seals are shot and I get a big puff of blue smoke when I start
up, otherwise it doesn't use oil.
I bought replacement umbrella seals, removed the valve cover, attached the
cyl to an air compressor and used a valve spring compressor bar to compress
the valve spring. I expected the stem to pop up and release the valve
keepers, but all I managed to do was to open the valves with air blowing out
the exhaust or carb.
Is there a trick to an AMC engine I don't know about? Why can't I get the
keepers off. What is the proper way to do this on an AMC 6?
Wade