Re: [gremlintime] 75 Gremlin 258/auto factory air

Re: [gremlintime] 75 Gremlin 258/auto factory air

Ken-Hello, can't help you on your quest for information, but, enjoyed your e-mail. I'm married 28 years and had my first date with my wife in my new1972 Gremlin back in law school in Oklahoma. Lot of fond memories with that car over 5 years. Just last year acquired my second Gremlin effort--a 1971 232 6cyl auto Gremlin. Red with white stripes.
Steve , Minnesota

>>> "Kenneth Settles" <oliverdad@xxxx> 05/15/01 12:17AM >>>
1st timer on Gremlintime. My son bought a 75 about a month ago, proceeded to
make it his, then tried to smog it here in California. Not! Someone had
taken off the Air injection manifold and plugged lines and got it running
ok, but will not smog this way.
I am taking over his project, who the final owner will be is in doubt at
this time, but I won't give up easy (harmony with his mother may be a
factor).
Anyway, suggestions, parts, whatever would be helpful.
I think I have an idea for the manifold. He found one in pieces, but it
wasn't quite right. I think I can braze it up and make it fit. But he took
the hoses/vacuum lines off and can't remember how they went. If someone
could email me the correct setup for an Oct 74 mfrd Gremmie, would
appreciate it. The particulars as best I can tell are:
6/258 with automatic, AC, Pwr Stg, air injection, with a Holly single barrel
carb. The Exhaust Mnfld has 3 cracks in it (son JB welded it). Would like
to, If I get to keep it, to restore it to operation where it is economical
(with pep), and reliable, and comfortable to drive. This means the original
seats are coming out. They were torn up anyway (split bench) and my son Duct
taped them to hold them together. It has been suggested that Bucket seats
from a toyota celica or tercel might be made to work in it (need my
reclining seats for trips and the drive-in - thats right, we still have one
here on the central coast, about an hour north up 101 from Santa Barbara).
Any suggestions/experiences here would be welcome. I won't even start
looking for seats till it is drivable and legal.
The driver door also is ajar. It looks like the hinge bushings are gone.
Oh well, the list could go on. It is mostly all there except the bottoms of
the doors have had some rust repairs and are awaiting painting.

Thought I would mention my AMC history. My father sold Ramblers new in
Vancouver WA back approximately 1960 to 1963. I can remember about once a
month he would take the family to move the cars around on Sunday nite, and
I'll always remember him coming home in a new Metro Convertible (red and
white two/tone with a white top). I sort of owned a 66 American (232-6 with
auto) SW and learn a lot on that car (my dad bought it, but I drove and
worked on it). Took my wife of 25 years for our first date in it.
Got to go, didn't mean to write a book.
Ken
oliverdad@xxxx

Shortcut URL to this page:
http://www.onelist.com/community/gremlintime
Gremlintime(Home of the AMC Gremlin on the WWW):
http://www.geocities.com/gremlintime