A good day around the Gremlin Garage yard, non-Gremlin-wise...

A good day around the Gremlin Garage yard, non-Gremlin-wise...

 It was such a beautiful day, that I actually got up before NOON on a
Sunday to enjoy a full day outside! I was out and about before 8:30 am,
enjoying the slightly nippy air and the sunshine beating down. It was SO
nice, I decided to declare war...on ivy! :D I've been meaning to get started
on my Garden Railway, but first that danged ivy has to go...I have a 60' by
10' border area that is choked with English ivy ( and some Poison Ivy thrown
in, too ). So today, after spending the morning doing some fence relocating
and repair in the back corner of my lot, and some tree pruning of dead limbs,
I started in on a 20' section of border by the deck, and proceeded to hack
away and haul away vines and dead shrubs. It was a gory mess, sap and
vinelets all over the place, ragged leaves strewn all over the border I was
reclaiming from the dreaded Green Machine. When the sun started to go down, I
had cleaned off most of the 20 foot section, still has lots of leafless vines
left , but at least it's a MAJOR start on a project I've been wanting to do
since I moved into the house 3 years ago.
I think I'm going to concentrate on either end of the border this winter,
as those areas have the least poison ivy growing, and see how far along I
get. If I get those two areas done before Spring arrives, I may tackle the
main center area, with big trees and misc. shrubs and small trees mixed in
together. I've heard it's a good time to pull ivy in the winter, as the sap
is down, so any poison ivy vines won't be as potent now as when spring hits
and things start growing again. I'd like to get it ALL done, or at least
accomplish a majority of it, so I can start reclaiming my border from the
ivy. I HATE that stuff!
Anyway, not much going on with Gremlins, I need to replace the front
shocks on my bronze '74, but decided I'd rather tackle some "green" projects
today rather than a "techno" job. Darn weather in Virginia has been extremely
LOUSY on weekends the past few months, with all the good days coming during
the week. Didn't want to waste ivy-killing time, as there's been little
enough this winter! I'll be able to get out to work on the Gremlins soon
enough, but I need to pull as much ivy out before the sap starts rising
again, so war it was! I'm "bushed" <sic> after my battle today, but "by
george"<double-sic!> I'll conquer that ivy , and " I'll rack" <oy, bad!> up a
victory eventually! LOL. Well, hope all you Gremlins out there had a good a
day as I did. Spring isn't far away. Neither is more snow, we're expecting
MORE this week, on Tuesday and Thursday, and the farmer's almanac has
predicted 3 more snow events for March, so who knows where it will all end?!
I'll be glad to see spring, but NOT before I get more done on the border! LOL
Just a LITTLE more cool/cold weather will do me. AMc ya'll,

Jerry in Virginia