Re: Gremlin "phobia"...sorry, Bob, didn't know it was a legal disease!

Re: Gremlin "phobia"...sorry, Bob, didn't know it was a legal disease!

 True, there are things people are irrationally afraid of ( even
rationally! ), and I wouldn't poke fun at anyone who has a legit
problem....but I can't say that being afraid of a particular car model is a
basis for a legitmate disease! Does Freddie feel that way about EVERY car? If
so, why did he have five Gremlins to begin with??? It's legitimate to believe
he's afraid of dying in a car fire...but if it's just because he saw ONE case
litigated of a Gremlin, then it's entirely irrational, and bogus. I don't see
any mass sell-off of Ford Explorers due to tires blowing or roll-overs, or
those Audis with "sudden acceleration" problems. Do you avoid those vehicles
on the road by pulling over when you see one pull along side you on the
Interstate? THAT is PHOBIA! Obviously some people prefer to walk the safe
route in ANY situation, and avoid all potential risk....more power to them.
Others, like myself, will assess the risks, take what necessary precautions
we feel are necessary, and proceed on. If Freddie has given up ALL motorized
transportation, then I apologize for not realizing he's as sick as he is, and
will retract my statements, as I won't make fun of a sick man, Bob. I do have
a ( former ) friend who is afraid of Interstates, she gets frozen at the
wheel ( NOT a good thing around the Wash. DC metro area! ), so she always
drives on the secondary roads. Trying to get her to go someplace was a very
hard task, if she had to drive. If I drove, no problem. I didn't laugh at
her, either. But if she had a fear of a particular intersection, or one
section of road, then I'd probably make a joke about it. Some areas are
dangerous, I'll admit, and some cars are dangerous, too ( mostly it's the
drivers, NOT the vehicle ), so there can be some basis for seriousness. But I
refuse to believe that the Gremlin is a death-trap. Several people on this
list have been in accidents, and not only survived, but had their Gremlins
come out in better shape than the (modern) car that struck them! Just about
any car can be struck from behind, at speed, and become a fireball. But if
you are that worried, go ride a bus or a train ( derailments and tires
blowing out notwithstanding....). Life is a risk, those who worry about it
will never be happy. I feel sorry for you who have that problem. I'm not one
of them. If it is a mental illness, then again, I apologize for making fun of
a serious debilitating condition, if that's the case. A man walking with a
cane is one thing, he HAS a legit condition. Worrying about what MIGHT happen
is far and away a different thing, some are truly medical conditions, others
are induced by neurotic upbringing by sick parents, or whatever, and aren't
necessarily a "true" medical condition. THOSE are the circumstances in which
I'll ridicule and make fun of those who insist we all jump from the frying
pan into the fire, Bob. Much like I'll ridicule the Liberal Left who thinks
we humans are solely responsible for "global warming", the sorry condition of
all other poor countries, etc. Blaming something instead of fixing it is just
a plain cop-out. Plenty of blame to go around, but who's fixing the problems?
I'll fix my Gremlins, and Freddie can go bike riding. We'll both be better
off, I guess. :)

Jerry in Virginia ( continueing my efforts to "Save the Gremlins...squash a
(VW) Bug!"...)