Decision time - Gremlin GT NOT making the trip... :(

Decision time - Gremlin GT NOT making the trip... :(

 Well, I went out this morning, got the exhaust rehung up out of the way (
it was mounted too low in back ), then tried to get the brake drum off.
Wouldn't budge, so went to start the car, to turn the rear wheels in gear (
it's on jackstands ), and a horrible sound started up - a lifter was making
alot of noise, and the motor was running rough. Damn! Ran perfect last night
when I shut it off. I check the oil, it was low, so added a quart. Still ran
crappy, though, the noise did settle down a little. An engineer friend of
mine drove up not much later, and listened to it (he's doing flow-bench work
on AMC 6 motors, btw ) and he said it's probably just a piece of sludge
broken loose, and use some Motor Flush on it. I will, but after this, I think
I'm better off just taking the gold '74 Gremlin, it's been a trooper, and I
know it better than the GT, as I had to drive it for 3 weeks to work when my
Toyota truck was down for major repairs last month. So, better to have the GT
safely at home, than have it break down enroute to Kenosha, no matter how
much I'd like to take it! Ah well, that's life. I got the gas tank drained
finally( WARNING - PRODUCT ENDORSEMENT FOLLOWS ), I went to Trak Auto and
found they had a nice 1.5 gallon gas can with a vacuum pump mounted on it,
instead of the usual "wet pump" type that usually goes bad. I"m IMPRESSED!
The pump mounts into the plastic can on one side, the normal spout on the
other. Pretty slick, and it works too! :D It cost $15 ( reduced, apparently
they're going to stop selling them ), it's called Gas Vac. Has a hard plastic
translucent white line, with a one-way valve on the end you stick into the
gas tank, and a plastic tube you stick in the gas door opening to hold open
the flap, and guide the line with. All in all, one of the BETTER items Trak
has ever carried! I may buy one for my aunt's farm, it's a pretty nifty
device to have, and can double as a gas can, too.
Anyway, I got 5 gallons of high test gas in the car last night. Thought I
was going to get this car ready after all, it was going so well yesterday. Oh
well, like I mentioned, I'd rather not risk having it drop dead on me on a
long trip, so I'll be driving my gold Gremlin with antique tags on it. That
one can still fail, too, but it does have many more miles on it of test
driving, so I'm much more confident with it now. The brakes are new, the
tires are good, and the AM radio even works ( nothing in the GT now ). And,
the A/C didn't work in the GT ( no surprise there, I guess ). That should
make my trip preparations much easier now, I won't be rushing around like mad
trying to get an unknown car ready for a trip into the unknown ( actually,
I've been up that way to Oshkosh before, and thru Chicago, so I have been
thru the area a number of years back ). Well, guess it's time to get moving
on the gold car, it needs an oil change, and check the air in the spare, then
it could use a bath and a wax/buff job. I did a spot on the hood, it took the
old crappy oxidized paint off, and looks great and beads water again! I may
actually try to do that tonight, after the sun goes down. Or tomorrow night,
actually. Got alot still to do today. So, that's all, look forward to seeing
some of you up there. Au revoir for now,

Jerry in Virginia ( for a few more days, anyway )