Re: more on keys,....more found locally, but $1 each...

Re: more on keys,....more found locally, but $1 each...

I hit the local Total Plus auto parts store, and they had a very old looking
key-making setup, so I checked it out...yep, they gots AMC keys! Rather
dusty, too. The counter man said he was thinkin' of packin' it in on doing
keys, but he wasn't sure yet. SO, I picked about 14 keys off the rack,
including some for my '57 Chevys, and asked how much. $1 for each blank.
Ouch. Thats the price difference between country store and (sub)urban areas.
Well, they DO have the AMC logo on them....so I bit the bullet, and bought
them. They're by Curtis as well, found more of the RA-5's, the guy said he
thought they were later AMCs as well, like '88 up. But he didn't have a book,
so couldn't confirm it. I found about 3 websites so far selling the RA-3 and
RA-4 keys ( trunk and ignition ) for AMC, no telling if they have the logo on
them or not, but you have to buy boxes of 50, usually. A little too many.
They sell lesser quantities, one site did, but it drove the price per key
blank to $1 or so each, bulk was .20 each over 500. At any rate, I now have
more blank keys, but they're gonna cost more. And they didn't have the 70-87
round keys, just the square heads. So I have more of those than the
door/trunk keys now. Oh well. At least I shouldn't run out of keys anytime
soon! LOL. I will still sell them to whoever wants some, price $1 each plus
$1 postage/handling for all bought, limit 4 keys per person at the moment.
Send me your order, and I'll see if I can fill it. Later,

Jerry