Audi - Porsche Powered Gremlin

Message: 4
Date: Mon, 24 Jun 2002 19:29:13 -0500
From: David Pershing
Subject: Re: Re:'77 4-cyl. Audi motor, parts, etc....David Pershing
parting engine....

Jerry,

I'm in Mid-Missouri. I've got the crossmember several other parts to
convert
it to a six. I've been catching some flack for butchering the 2 liter
car.
I've done a few engine swaps in my youth, so I'm gonna be taking my time
with this.

The engine is the same as the Porsche, down to the engine mounts.
If you're interested in pictures or parts, let me know and I'll send
pictures as I tear it down.

David
- . -

Hey David!

Any .jpgs of your project you snap - I'd like copies as I
collect .

Not looking to flame you on this Topic - and as a car builder
I presume you'll understand when a possible creation that
has conceptually been kicked around involving a scarce
commodity suddenly appears -

I had a 392 HEMI dressed in a 1950 Hudson Commodore 8
sedan back when street racing involved Superbirds - Vettes -
Aluminum block 302 '67 Cameros etc.

A lite weight package is where I'm at these days -
Usable & Streetable HP that can be daily driven -
handles well in the twisties &
still make 300+HP .

I look at handling as equally important as streaking
straight line tarmac.

I've a 1981 EAGLE Kammback 4x4 which is the
Gremlin / Spirit / Eagle body shell .

In the Kammback Registry we've located less than
10 of these in existence .

I enjoy Turbo Power as this makes tremendous HP
and leaves the car at an 8.2 comp. ratio for going
to the Library - Crusin' downtown in the Easy Fashion .
Wick it up & get grins..

Junkyard Turbos can be had for
$75.00 to $150.00 .
Anything from a 3.6 to a 4.0 Turbo Engine car will do
for a single Turbo Inline 6. Get creative & run say -
a pair of 2.0 SAAB Turbos .

On a V8 - run the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe Turbos -
one on each exhaust header - 550HP - idle like a
kitten .

On a Inline 6 :

Bolt on a U pipe from your Exhaust Header &
run it up near the carb.
Attach a mounting plate for the Turbo -
Attach the Oil feed lines & your near in .

On American engines - run a Holley which is easily
modded for a blowthru application.

Look for a 450cfm on Ebay with Mechanical
Secondaries .

A Streetable 5 to 9 lbs boost will bring the AMC 6
up to 300+HP - but I recommend you build a 6 short block
from PRE 1981 as AMC removed 11lbs. of
main webbing in creating the 1981 + lite weight
engines .

The blocks flex - so much so that DCx added
a main bearing stud girdle to TRY and keep
things in order. This mess is still going on
in the 4.0 engines.

>From 1996 & up they did return some of the interior
webbing for strength AND the stud girdle.

If you build the 6 - get the stud girdle from a 4.0 and
shim it to clear the counterweights - or - have the
crank lightened & clearanced for the girdle.
ARP bolts all way round .

AMC also removed the 12 counterweight
crankshaft substituting a 4 counterweight item
in 1981 - 1986 and 4.0 engines.

In the newer 4.0 engines they have added another 4
counterweights to the crankshaft - bringing this up
to 8 counterweights - this around 1997 .

If you care to dream - buy a Hot VW magazine &
take a look at Bernie Bergmans Crankshaft prep.

I got flamed for suggesting this ona Jeep list -
something about VWs and why would I etc.

This is an Ultra Lite configuration that will allow the
engine to spin 6.8K + rpm.

His prep is what all well thought out crank prep
is about.

Run the 1981 - 1986 AMC 6 Intake Manifold
as this is the choice of Race Moab Jeep
builders.

AMC / Renault sank a pile of cash into
design for this Intake to get the Mixture
Charge equal to each Piston.

It surpasses the Clifford & Offie and
allows you to run an Automatic without
crazy linkage problems .

On Blown applications - look for the 74cc Open Chamber
head with the stud rocker arm set up.
Should be around 1975.
A site called Mojo Javelin has the Inline 6 heads
outlined as to configuration by year .

A V8 Gremlin is surely a Thriller - I love Brute Force
with Power Plants.

Realistically on the street with a normally aspirated engine -
350+HP begins the "Hairey CAm" and upped Idle Zone....
unless your in the Turbo Camp.

With a 7.2 Comp. ratio - and water injection - you
can spin your cabin mounted Boost Controller up
to 18lbs. and make 450+HP from your 6 .
That with a NOS 100HP kit - and you can begin to
see the 575+HP Zone - and still have decent
handling - rather than a Nose Heavy configuration .

Back to PORSCHE power - check with AAA Cars of
The World in Texas . They are listed in Auto Week &
these guys dicker - so that first number isn't 'Word'.

They can ship a 944turbo power plant & Trans intact
for less than you'll be able to build a full house
street 360 or 401 - and maintain excellent
Handling in a balanced package let alone
a totally Unique Hi-Perf package .

As far as the comment on Bart -
Unnecessary & unfair.

He is a full house enthusiast &
builder.
He has helped owners on this list
and the amc-list as well on numerous
occasions .
He has a good sense of humor within
the Car Culture & I enjoy conversing
with this Nut Case : 'nuff said .

Which ever way you go with the Audi Project -
I'm interested & will chat on anything to
make Streetable HP>.

I've got a 1964 PORSCHE project
C coupe from my Mom - she used this
during her employ as a Probation Officer -
great times in that ride!

Best Regards,

Brien
1981 Gremlin 4x4