transmissions

Hi everyone!

I've just been listening for quite a while. I've finally decided to get my gremlin back on the road. I have some questions, and I know you guys are the best at this. So, if you guys can help me out, I thought y'all would know right off the tops of your heads.

It's a '78 with an Audi motor (I know it's slow). Right now it needs a new transmission. I want to get one at the junk yard, but I don't know which kind of car to get one out of. I want to keep the car close to original now, and put in a 401 later. I hope I can do that without changing the transmission again. So, which kind of transmission should I get and what kind of car could I find one in?

Thanks for the help. Hopefully I can be a bigger part of this list when I can drive my Gremlin every day.

Joe