amc or not to be this is the question

V8 or not? well I have a 1972 gremlin x with a 304 Bone stock, I also have a 1979 concord with a 304 Bone stock ( very raire. bought it from an 81 year old lady who ordered it brand new with a 304, air conditioning ,tilt steering ,automatic, Primiem sterieo , raily rims but she did not want it as an amx so the body is all concord dx with vinel top and crome.) I also have a spirit with a 6 cyl stick shift its putting out about 225 horses at a cost of abought $1800.00 its fast its fun but it in no way will ever, can never, or even try to sound like my v8s. The stock v8 gremlin will throw you back on take off and keep up very nicly with any 305 camaro or mustang gt that gets in my way. This engine was rebuilt stock for a cost of $900.00 It would not have cost much more to do a 401 or a 360 (found in tons of cherokees) if I would trick out the 304 with the same type of parts as on my spirit the cost would be abought $500.00 more. however it would have abought 125 more horses and still sound like a v8. when I show my cars the V8s get lots of " wow thats a v8" The six with all its crome,its header, its holly carb. it get "oh its a 6!" I have bought a 77 hornet thats more rust then body ,But its a v8 car. I payed 150.00 for the running but in need of a rebuild car this will give me every nut a bolt I will need to drop it into my spirit or the next amc I find with a good body. From a cost point of view its cheeper and faster with a v8 So long as you have a doner car. If not then a 6 is the way to go.With out a doner car its a nightmare to put a v8 in and keep it looking stock and be safe to drive. Abbott@xxxx