Re: [gremlintime] engine and tranny swap

Re: [gremlintime] engine and tranny swap

A light flywheel - clutch plate - pressure plate [not HD-heavy duty] -
throw out bearing.
When you accelerate - a stock heavy unit drags on the engine making it
work harder .
When you shift - the heavier unit keeps the engine spinning - not letting
the engine wind down and making it harder for your trans to find the gear
- syncro wear - this is overspinning - you wait for the engine to wind
down . With a lite Centerforce set up - you will have a light responsive
harmony between driver and machine . It really feels alot better ! When
you hear race cars shifting quickly and winding down quickly as well -
that is due to a light flywheel assembly . Very nice . You'll have a
sports car responsivness to your Gremlin effort . And... who knows - you
might just swap out the three on the tree for a tilt column and a stock
parts floor shift - with a Mustang 5.0 5 speed trans - the one with the
gold top cover - about $450.00 in parts salvage yards . Then you'll have
around town gears for hills and stop sign navagation AND a highway gear
pak that will catapult your Gremlin to 75 mph cruise speed on your way to
the Albany AMC Show or the big gathering in Conn. still only turning
the engine at about 2 K rpm. You sound as if this is a project near and
dear to your heart - I know mine is ! Just got the front air spoiler
and fender well flares from a '79 AMX also the very hip grill assembly
from Don Covert in Rochester. I still haven't got the car home yet from
NJ. ! Haven't had a project car in over 15 years. Had a '72 AMX - Blue
- for a short time .
This Eagle Kammback is AMX Blue ! I have had different exposure to
different combinations and was lucky to understand what is best in
different applications.
Stick shift cars have certain improvements available that really upgrade
the operational feel.
Light weight in any reciprocating mass is best . They have aluminum
driveshafts - find those in Circle Track Magazine and the other mags that
deal with Stock Cars . I plan on a set of these - as my car is a 4 wheel
drive - I'll need two . I also plan to swap out the 3 speed auto trans
for the A4W - 4 speed auto used in the newer Jeeps. Same trans used by
Toyota for their 4 x 4 vehicles and their 2 wd. Supra . Since your not
going to engage in the parts and time consuming V8 swap - you'll have the
opportunity to create a very slick package . What year is this Grem ?
As well - you can respond to my E - mail address directly. brien
ps: what does Ecurbpope mean ? Is pope a pet dog ?