[BaadAssGremlins] Re: NOS Rosette rivets & fake AMCs

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: NOS Rosette rivets & fake AMCs

Ironically most of the interest is coming from Corvette & Mopar people so
far, not AMC fans. It takes more than rivets to fake a anything, and the
road to old cars is littered with some well know examples since 1980s when
rivets were more available. Some of the better known ones I can think of
right off bat (that sounds like a A&E? show I would Have Gotten Away With
It) is a Rebel Machine, stunning looking car for sale at brokers 10-12 years
ago, guy was estatic about buying it. He asked a simple question of 'how do
I know it is real?' and way too many people rely solely on door tag. You
have to remember that the doors to these AMC cars we collect were not
rustproofed, and depending on where you live, some rotted out by end of
decade they sold like that Rebel. So every replaced doors simply because the
doors were available then, not so now.

I told the Rebel guy to crawl under car and look for a few things like
evidence of a fuel line on passenger side, if car was a six to begin with
it's on that side, but V8 would have driver side. Sure someone could have
taken a V8 car rustfree and rebodied it, but in this case was a six. It also
had some evidence of alt on opposite side for six, as wiring harness had
been professionally spliced. So he took it back and got refund, problem is
this car is 'out there' with someone who generally believes they have real
deal. Not because of door tag, but because someone covered tracks and
misrepresented it.

You can do online search for 'fake ssamx' and 'fake sc360' and see some old,
obscure files come up off my site about clones. Easiest cars to 'fake' or
'clone' are the 71-74 AMX & Javelin with VIN in upper dash pad. The VIN
plastic door tag is reproduced and a stunning reproduction I may add can't
tell from original. So lift off phillips screw-held-in-pad, change and
pretty much done. Not ethical but has happened since the cars were new.

If someone is unscrupulous ( un-scru-pu-lous) Adjective: having or showing
no moral principals; not honest or fair. But if someone has bad intentions,
whether selling Rollex watches, official 'signed' NBA LeBron James jerseys,
'24' carrot (Bugs Bunny would be proud of that) gold chains, it is simply up
to buyers to do homework, period.

The showfield and car shows are filled with cars that have been changed or
altered in some form, shape or fashion. And as mentioned above, some simply
want to replace what was lost to thrown away decades ago when doors were
available at any pick a part.

To me, faking a AMC is like conuterfeiting a roll of nickels. You can do it
but why? That is unless a high $$ model but even then like the comments in
the 'fake sc360' file, why bother?
Eddie Stakes
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825 days