[BaadAssGremlins] Re: worthless amc crushed/ny times blog

[BaadAssGremlins] Re: worthless amc crushed/ny times blog

On AMC hoarding: a lot of us frustratingly pulled TONS of parts back when there was....still..stuff to pull. And a lot of the stuff little to zero interest, but knew that if it breaks, bends, or tears, probably myself, or someone else could use it. It's how I ended up with 22 tons of stuff at one point. On the other hand, you can also read my frustration on some of the files on my site seeing so much go to waste, some of the oldest files on my site deal with that like ALTERED AMCS or PORT HOPE.
 http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMX/amc-warehouse-12.jpg

Yes, you do have a lot of people who hoard things, on other side of the coin you got a ton of people who try their best to save everything and some successful, others are not. But they try, even it is is a Eagle, or Spirit. As for junkyards they are in business to make money. While we cheer if a AMC brings 'good money' at a auction, don't forget all those parts cars that made it happen either. No one is obligated to sell anything you know! And as I tell people daily...two edged sword here with technology continuing to evolve quickly, there has been many, many great things reproduced for AMC hobby in last 15 years than past 40 years COMBINED. Mirrors, grilles, seats, door panels, timing chain covers, simulated exhausts, ram air items, back glass, door glass, dash pieces, gauges, so good time to be a AMCer.

You will always have 'AMC Cars In Barns & Rotting Ramblers'

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/amxtrash/amc-cars-in-barns.htm

and do a online search for ED HOOPER AMC and also AMC ESTATE SALE and two huge hidden files come up off my site. Ed Hooper was classic hoarder, God bless him, was a good man, but bought every AMC he seemed to cross paths with. Rarely did anything with them either, just sort of collected them to collect, then sit in field or barn. The 'rotting ramblers' file above shows a lot of cars wasted away as that day never comes to those for whatever reason. The king of hoarders could have been late Harold LeMay with over 1000 cars in collection, many of them AMC, even his family didn't know of all the cars and warehouse in northwest he had until he died. Good intentions all.

Many AMCers who have done this for awhile know what is rare and what is not, especially for certain models. They also know if they sit on something too long say, NOS, and it gets reproduced their NOS whatever part suddenly worth like Facebook stock after repros hit market. It's why I have a VENDORS list on my site

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/AMC_Vendors/amc_vendors.htm

as I encourage people to shop around, one guy might have part and not want to sell, other will, but can't expect them to sell, even if they have item one needs. I could name a whole lot of people who have items I would love to have for possible reproduction purposes but they won't part with them. That's fine I move on and try to find another. I think what amazes me that 25 years after AMC's demise there is so much interest in some of these cars, not that some are worth anything (which prompted original NY Times link at bottom!) but that many people continue to fix them up and restore them. And to me at least, that is a good thing. And with the quality of a number of reproduction items that continued to be made by a wide array of places for AMC, it is encouraging, and also uplifting to see the quality of the remaining survivor cars, the bar has been raised. So good thing.
Eddie Stakes
Planet Houston AMX
713.464.8825 days
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com
You missed the point hoarder. Yes, this is a free country and I appreciate those who have collected over the years as have I. There is a line of self serving greed that doesn't want anybody else to enjoy the parts/cars. They will put ridiculous prices on stuff or won't sell, but glad to tell you they have it,to feed their own twisted personality. Whats the difference? hoarded or crushed none . Waiting for the estate sale only kills the interest and value of the cars and parts nobody wins. You are right, I don't have a right to your stuff, you have a right to keep it just for your self. I do have a right to wonder why? There are many unwritten ideals in the old car hobby. There is comrodery [can't spell] of enjoying our cars, building them, driving them, the adventure of finding parts, helping friends who share the interest, the old car hobby is very much like a family. Then there is the hoarder ideals, I going to buy it up keep it and never sell it or extort high prices. "I am king of AMC parts".
Interesting thought: If all the AMC hoarders of cars and parts ,even half, would share/sell at a resonable price their cars and parts we would forget about junk yards. As it is now we wait till we can buy them from their estate.
you know, people like you who think they have a right to other people's stuff just because you think they are a hoarder or they won't sell it cheap enough for you to make a buck need to get off your high horse and find your own cars or pay the asking price. If so called hoarders hadn't collected those parts and cars 90% of it would have been crushed by now because of lack of interest. A lot of it has been saved since the 70's 80's and early 90's when they were still plentiful and cheap. We should be thankful these people have saved the stuff and yes, we may have to wait for the estate sale to buy it but at least it will be available again. If they hadn't collected the stuff it would be long gone by now.

I say God Bless the hoarders and thank them for saving the stuff and giving us something to look forward to finding in the future

Yes it is sad to see all the crushing going on. Here in MD near me a junlyard crushed out all but 4 or 5 eagles a complete almost untouched Kamback spirit/Gremlin. Several cars picked over but a lot of good parts left. Yes many 4 doors but good parts. you hit the nail on the head no interest. with economy and no change in site,no money for toys no interest. Interesting thought: If all the AMC hoarders of cars and parts ,even half, would share/sell at a resonable price their cars and parts we would forget about junk yards. As it is now we wait till we can buy them from their estate. Dale

http://wheels.blogs.nytimes.com/2013/05/18/why-my-heart-aches-when-worthless-cars-go-to-the-crusher/?smid=fb-share