[BaadAssGremlins] Brake Light Switch

I am replacing the (TRYING) master cylinder on my 1977 Gremlin without power brakes. Do I have to remove the brake light switch from the brake rod that goes thru the firewall or can I just unplug the brake light wires and pull it thru the firewall? It will be so much easier to see what needs to be done if it will fit thru firewall and then place on new master cylinder. I am nearly at the point of breaking stuff and this area is hard to get parts for Gremlin in a timely manner.
HELP PLEASE
B Strength