Re: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: AMC title problems/ Re: 2 years later...

Even here in Maine I made a small mistake when I went to register my Hornet after I bought it 12 years ago. I put $400 down on it on a Friday and the owner gave me a bill of sale stating that it would be paid in full when I picked it up the next day. I paid the extra $300 the next day and she gave me a filled out bill of sale.  I drove it the 50 miles home on thier plates. Afew days later I went to the DMV with only the first part of the bill of sale. They needed to see the rest so I had to go back the next day with the right paperwork. The DMV is 25 miles from where I live. Tempted to register it as antique, but still have it as regular car. Antique autos in Maine do not need state inspections. Regular cars do.

--- On Sun, 3/11/12, Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

From: Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] Re: AMC title problems/ Re: 2 years later...
To: BaadAssGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Sunday, March 11, 2012, 7:49 AM

Another story similiar to Terry's but good ending: I bought a salvage vehicle, 69 Javelin from Ten Acres Auto Parts in 1980s, and restored it. 68 343/AT, beautiful little car. Salvage title but later got good Texas title. After showing it and driving it for about 5 years sold it to a guy who used to see it (along with many of my other AMXs & Javelins I drove to work at Dirty's near Galleria here in Houston) but sold it to a customer.

He enjoyed the car and drove it but being a kid, (I was in 30s, he was barely 20) he didn't take care of it. I got a certified letter from Houston Police that my car was in storage yard and going to be auctioned. He hadn't changed title in the 2 years since I sold it to him, so guess was driving around with expired tags after that 1 year. I decided to go take a look at it was saddened to see it in such disrepair, windshield busted, door glass on driver side broke out, car filled with water from heavy rains, long scrape down passenger side, bumpers both bent, good push in on driver 1/4, so just stood there in rain looking at this poor thing, could not believe it was same car.

Since....the guy had never changed title into his name, it was, theroetically, my car still. So walked up to auto storage booth to see what I needed to claim the car. He said 'driver license if it in your name' and brought it out, paid the $133.00 and asked how much for one of his drivers to inflate 1 of the tires and drag it to my house. $55 more.

Got the car home and that afternoon put another windshield in it, changed out door, put another door glass in it, straightened out 1/4 on one side and replaced bumpers on it from spares in warehouse. Started to look better, also opened up plugs on floor to let out swamp water. Put battery in it, primed carb, checked fluids and a blast of starter fluid and the 343 4 barrel roared to life. Not lot of life sounds like it needed big time tune up which I did. I primered the car over weekend and wet vaced interior, taking battery out so doors open in full summer sun to get out stench and dampness.

3 weeks later I went to DMV & got new title for $5. Car was streetworthy so drove it around and had someone offer me $1500 for it so sold it. Ironically about 12 years after that it popped up in auto trader for sale for $1500, then in sad twist of fate, ended up somehow back at Ten Acres Auto Salvage where I heard about it, went out and took photos of it one last time before hitting crusher. Sad end to that nice car, but good that dumbass never changed title so was able to reclaim it for less than $200 and several other owners enjoyed it afterwards.