[BaadAssGremlins] AMC electric windows in AMX Javelin

[BaadAssGremlins] AMC electric windows in AMX Javelin

No! AMC never did it. However they could have as the hole was punched in the doors starting somewhere in summer of 1968. Go look,
that is "S" shaped hole for no reason towards front of door. Sure, could be for electric locks, AMX or Javelin never got those
either. I think the problem with electric windows and locks was AMC never got it right. The motors used in 60s/70s were American
Bosch, they are indestructible and will work even under water and still roll window up or down, same with smaller ones for locks.
However it was AMC's LEGO like contraption inside the doors of Ambassador, Rebel & Matador (later Concord, Eagle & I believe Spirit)
that sort of doomed electric windows. This is configuration of earlier AMX & Javelin

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/68-70AMX_doorglass.jpg

quite a mess there. But the electric windows on say Ambassador & Rebel were quite troublesome, either not working, going 1/2 up or
down or needing help going up. If you have rare Group 15 Accessory electric windows and never had a problem you are one of handful.
Not a lot of people opted for them, one is not cheap, two is well, troublesome.

My own 68 Rebel convertible 'Machine' came with factory installed electric windows and the original owner, who was Parts Manager at
Vance & Sons AMC in Bellaire (Houston) said he got tired of messing with them in 1974 and had front doors changed to regular
regulators at the dealership there, while leaving the rears electric. The rears have never worked since 1986 when I bought the car,
at least not correctly, and need "help" pulling them up, while they go down just fine. I believe the door switches were Indak, and
AMC's wiring harness to them was pathetic with small metal clips that popped off going over speed bumps, so would have to pull door
panel off and replug harness to switch unless got creative and taped it together.

Anyways, a fellow AMC fan has installed electric windows in his 69 Javelin of which will be using later model (I think) 74 AMX door
panels. Quite creative and sure wished AMC's original contraption inside doors work 1/2 as well as this short video he sent me.

  http://s544.photobucket.com/albums/hh331/PlazinJavelin/Javelins/PowerWindow/?action=view&current=PowerWindow2.mp4

will be waiting anxiously to see how this turns out. So if your classic AMC has factory electric windows, consider yourself lucky as
was not cheap option back then and if your's works fine, knock on fake woodgrain overlay.
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
www.planethoustonamx.com