[BaadAssGremlins] re: amx wiper fuel temp gauge troubleshooting

[BaadAssGremlins] re: amx wiper fuel temp gauge troubleshooting

Hi Keith, usually when this happens it is grounding problem. First thing I would do is
check to see if your block is grounded to crossmember on passenger side at bottom behind
alt. Many times this ground wire looks to be good but copper inside it is shot, you can
get new universal engine ground wire at any auto parts store about $5. Then if this didn't
work, pull your gauges out, then wiper switch too. There is a thin copper ground strap
that connects LIGHTS and WIPERS switches, it goes around collar, to the dash frame, looks
like this:

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/restoration/amx-dash-ground.jpg

which is one for the AC. Many times these are broken or outright missing. Alternative to
missing or broken strap is to make one, easy to use eyelet and run black ground wire to
something you know if solid ground like braces for steering column on firewall for
instance. I never thought the copper originals were worth a sh*t to begin with and have
changed them out on any electric wiper AMX or Javelin I have owned thru years because it
is a huge safety issue!

Something else you might want to check is fusebox, make sure that both bolts that hold it
are tight as they do vibrate loose....causing fusebox not to ground.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/main/fuse_panel.jpg

Also I use silicone
grease (same stuff for spark plugs) on my fuses to make sure good current as in area like
Houston with high humidity, you have spuuge form on fuses and cause them not to carry
current. This especially true for gas gauge & temp gauges too, which is another story.

It's rare the Prestolite wiper motor or the electric dash wiper switch go bad....they do
after all 40 something years old, but not very often. If above stuff don't help, I would
then focus on the wiper motor, then switch, good luck,

From: Keith Evenson <epd@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I have a 68 AMX and the other day my wipers would not work at all. Then the next day they
did, and it has been on and off like that for the last 3 - 4 times I drove it. Does anyone
have any idea if it might be my switch or would it be the wiper motor going out?

Thanks, Keith
=======================
Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825