Re: [BaadAssGremlins] re: AMC towing / why is it? 78 Concord Touring Wag

Re: [BaadAssGremlins] re: AMC towing / why is it? 78 Concord Touring Wagon

I can believe any of those cars could easily pull an Airstream. They were the easiest travel trailer there was to pull at the time. The only thing I can't understand is they were the most expensive travel trailer to buy so why would you pull one with a relatively cheap Pacer. Actually most of them were pulled with big wagon like the Marquis Colony Park, Buicks and Olds. Then again the International Travelall and the AMC Wagoners made good toll vehicles too. The pickup truck was still a work truck back in the 70's and while you could buy a four door very few did. Now of course almost all travel trailers are pulled by either extended cab or four door pickups.
Terry

From: Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: baadassGremlins@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx; amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent: Fri, April 15, 2011 8:40:46 PM
Subject: [BaadAssGremlins] re: AMC towing / why is it? 78 Concord Touring Wagon

This old white 82 Eagle has 210,000 miles on it,

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMC/Picture_1168.jpg

a Class III hitch and has towed many a AMC for me since 1992(?) or so. Never used a full
sized trailer on it, always tod dolly. Some cars hauled distance like 74 Sportabout wagon
down to Corpus Christi, about 210-225 miles one way.

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMC/74_hornet_gx.jpg

Others a little more difficult like 71 Matador brought about 60 miles,

http://www.planethoustonamx.com/Photo_Gallery_AMC/christmaskids2004_021.jpg

had to take it easy with that one as heavier and while the Eagle handled it no problem in
2WD, just seemed heavier than Eagle Matty battled it whole way so had to be careful
slowing down and turns otherwise uneventful.

while earlier we were talking about 'special amcs and regional specials' how many of you
ever seen a uber rare 78 Concord "Touring Wagon"? This one would have been the perfect tow
vehicle with factory 304V8, and rarity of it thru the roof...sold for $1000

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/200x-classifieds/1978-amc-concord-touring-wagon-v8/20656/page1/

I have only seen photos of them, never seen one up close. Check out groovy interior. Seems
the Airstream folks are fond of towing their big trailers with Eagles, Concords & Pacers:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f417/amc-eagle-towing-airstream-38630-2.html

Eddie Stakes
713.464.8825
eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx